Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Loser

Author Topic: Loser
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I don't see a thread about this movie here, I'll start one.

I went with a friend to see this movie on opening weekend on Saturday, July 22, 2000, and my friend and I were in the mood for a dumb comedy to cheer us up. How many of you feel that this movie was mismarketed? I don't feel that the movie was a comedy (and have seen this mentioned elsewhere). My friend and I felt that movie got better near the end, but felt a bit let down by the movie, which instead of being a comedy, as advertised, was the story of a nice guy being treated meanly by his roommates. It was rather depressing, and we had to go do something else to cheer ourselves up afterwards.

This movie, after only two weeks, isn't even being shown at all time slots anymore in either local theatre, so it must be doing terrible business. The Saturday night showing we attended, in a rather small auditorium, was at most one third full, in the busiest theatre in town!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-2000 07:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much agreed. This movie was horribly mis-marketed. It was only 90 minutes, but it felt like 2 1/2 hours it moved so slow and overall it is just a "downer" movie.

If you want to be depressed, go see Loser!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing this movie for a second time, I feel that the main reason I (and others) were so hard on it review-wise was due to its mis-marketing. It is one of those movies that doesn't fit too neatly into any particular category, and that can often spell trouble for a movie. After reviewing a good portion of this movie on DVD, I have come to the conclusion that I was a bit hard on the movie review-wise. It wasn't that bad of a movie. It's just not the kind of movie that people were expecting it to be. Most people were expecting something along the lines of "Dude, Where's My Car" or "See Spot Run" or "Saving Silverman", and if they were, they were probably let down. Had they been expecting a more serious, drama type of movie, they probably would have been more pleased with it.

Anyone who was not considered "cool" in high school or college can certainly relate to the way Paul was treated by his roommates in the movie. I was treated in such a manner many times all through elementary, junior high, and high school. I was one of the most picked-on guys there, since I was not good at sports, was typically one who got good grades, and tried to be easy going and friendly to everyone. Luckily, my college years were much better. This movie certainly reminded me of a lot of those things that people did to me back then. Some of those mean people had similar fates to those that picked on Paul in "Loser". One of the worst ones that drove me nuts from 1979 to 1985 got into serious trouble and had to serve time in prison for a while. I'd say I must change my mind a bit about this movie and give it a better "rating" than before. Just don't expect a dumb cheer-you-up comedy. There are some real issues and situations in that movie that are worth thinking about, like Paul being treated meanly by roommates, roommates drugging girls at parties to make it easy to take advantage of them, and the professor having an affair with an underage girl and being blackmailed because of it.

The story line is well-suited for a soap-opera.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2001 11:33 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Evan. Unfortunately, I missed this at theatres because it didn't play for very long and I didn't get to it in time.

When the DVD came out, I rented it with the knowledge that it was not really a comedy and possibly a bit of a 'downer'. Knowing this in advance, I was very impressed with 'Loser'. I also try not to have any expectations of movies in general, and allow the film to become whatever it might be.

It was very sensitively acted and directed. I guess the movie is really asking questions about what is wrong with so many people; why is the protagonist so unacceptable to his peers? Ok, the hat was a bit silly, sure, but he was a perfectly nice guy. His father's advice to him, which opens the movie, is meant for comic relief...but the irony is very much there too. If one views this scene - and the movie - for its pathos rather than for laughs, it succeeds admirably. The fact that the father is so 'out of touch' with his earnest advice IS Amy Heckerling's point.

She goes even further when the one person who 'gets' the central character - his love interest - is totally blind to the cruelty of her lover. Tied in with this, as you pointed out, is the blackmail stuff and suddenly you have a film which really is quite scathing and has a lot to say, yet retains its warmth and humanity throughout.

I loved the reference to 'The Graduate' with the aerial shot of the plaza accompanied with the Simon and Garfunkel tune 'Scarborough Fair'. Very moving.

The only part for me which strains credibility and seems unrealistic is the 'up' ending. I guess after watching this we 'need' one, but I found it hard to believe that she would change and finally see what she'd been missing all along. In my experience, people don't change like this and suddenly turn on a dime. The things that make people tick keep making them tick the same way throughout their lives. This isn't to say that there can't be redemption and change, but I feel that in the final analysis a leopard really can't change its spots. Had she not changed at the end, we would have had a great, great film, although a far more arduous and painful one to watch. However, it would have been real.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 10:25 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend was at my house last night looking through my DVDs. He saw the "Loser" DVD, picked it up, looked at me, and said, "Why?"

It's funny that having "Spice World" didn't seem to bother him nearly as much as having "Loser" did.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: