Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hollow Man

Author Topic: Hollow Man
Scott McFly
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2000 02:25 AM      Profile for Scott McFly   Email Scott McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, it was good, but only around the second half, when kevin bacon gets invisible then gets pissed. then the fun begins. but then the movie just ends without warning. its getting suspensful then BAM! the credits are rolling.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2000 12:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS AHEAD

I thought the movie was well done. The sound mix was top notch (of course it was NOT screened in SDDS as Paul Verhoeven wanted) and amazingly enough, is in EX, even though there is no mention of it anywhere...not even on the DTS discs.

Two major flaws. First of course is the film was flat. Booo, hiss. When will some people learn?

Second, I'm getting awfully tired of these movies where the bad guy resembles Jason from the Friday the 13th movies and just WILL NOT DIE! After all, other than the fact Kevin Bacon is invisible, he's just an ordinary guy and no ordinary guy could've gone through what he did...being burned multiple times for one.

Still, the special effects were clever and very well done. Much more entertaining than the rest of the junk Hollywood has been dishing out this year.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 08-06-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I thought that it was well done. I also think that it has one of the best explosion scenes that I have heard in a while. The special effects were great. Really great quality. It was a lot better than I expected it to be. Although at times it was predictable but, it is better that anything else out there at the present time. I was actually surprised.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 03:23 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also have to agree that it's well done. Being Verhoeven, I knew he wouldn't let audiences down with his profusion of gore, though that's not a major thing I look for. And he wasn't near as bad in that department as he normally is, but at the same time he didn't make this movie for the squeamish either. Would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have a headache during the screening.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Great visuals. But then again, isn't that why they made this film? They were really having fun with those effects. That remark about his transparent eyelids made me think immediately about Chevy Chase's comment in Memoirs of the Invisible Man when said he could only sleep through sheer exhaustion because he could see through his eyelids.

When I first saw this though, I kinda felt sorry for Kevin Bacon. Sure the guy had an ego on him, but they couldn't rephase him, he started to feel like a test subject being caged inside, and started to lose his mind (they never did answer Josh Brolin's question about whether it was the serum or the power that screwed him up) as well as think his team was betraying him (or at least Brolin and Shue). But when I caught the last part again, I thought: Yeah, okay... he probably deserves to die. But it's only a movie right?

The pacing was kind of constant until Bacon locked the team in the facility and started killing them one at a time. WHen Bacon says it's gonna be a busy morning I thought to myself: Alright! This is gonna be good. What's so hard about people sticking together though? Anyway, Hollow Man was fun and it was much better than I thought it would be.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 10:39 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visionary special effects. Pretty good action film. Dolby Digital was nice

What I didn't like....

The "chicks trying to be macho" didn't cut it
The "monster that won't die" didn't cut it.
Human beings that are "mortally wounded but get back up and do stuff" didn't cut it.

See it at a cheap matinee.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: