Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » X-Men

Author Topic: X-Men
Christopher Barahona
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 02:13 AM      Profile for Christopher Barahona   Email Christopher Barahona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched X-Men. It is a terrific adaptation of a very difficult comic book to adapt. Bryan Singer creates a world with many different narratives (ala "Unusual Suspects") with such ease it is hard to imagine that he never read an X-Men comic book before he signed to do the picture.
It is, simply, the best comic adaptation since "Batman" and a terrific start to a franchise that will probably squander itslef in hack directors.(ala Batman).
Great film! Will do a ton of business!

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 05:05 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Although I personally thought it was better than Batman. Very faithful adaptation, good casting, great action, really entertaining. In fact, I screened both prints at my theatre and found it just as enjoyable the second time around. I haven't found myself willing to screen a movie twice in a damn long time either.

X-Men is certainly this summer's best effort. And from the looks of the remaining lineup, it'll probably stay that way. This is one of those very few comic-book based movies that really deserves to do well and I hope it does.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the previous posts. In places, the movie seemed a bit too quickly paced. When I realized we were reaching the film's climax I thought "Really? This is the end already?" Perhaps that's a good sign... like they left me hungry for a franchise. This movie had the best, seemless digital effects I've seen in a long time, if not ever.

The 1989 Batman was too quirky and too creepy. This film's got the formula down, and Singer didn't allow anyone in his very strong cast to take command and try to steal the show (and take control of the "feel" of the movie... which is what I feel Jack Nicholson did).

The final scene involving Patrick Stewart was a stroke of pure class and elegance.

And... one more point. In an era of unashamed excesses, this movie showed appropriate restraint. There was just as much sex, violence, bad language, etc. as was necessary to tell the story. It showed perfect respect for the parents whose pre-teen geeks will want to see this movie every week until school starts up again.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 06:28 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a nice, subtle touch on this movie. When the Fox logo fades out at the very beginning of the movie, it seemed to me that the "X" in the word "FOX" stayed on for just an instant longer after the rest of the logo faded away. Either I'm nuts or it was very subtle (or both).

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
X-Men is definately the best release so far this summer. I would disagree with the casting however. Most characters were cast VERY well, but I didn't like Storm or Jean Grey. I felt that Halle Berry wasn't comanding enough for Storm and Femke Jansen I continue to see her as she was in Goldeneye (ie sex crazied). They both did good jobs, but for Storm I would have gone with Angela Basset (sp?) and for Jean Grey (actually I don't know who I would have picked). On the other hand I can't wait for a sequel, and I am confident that there will be one after it's big opening. It's about time Marvel had a good movie, previos efforts were not good to say the least. Hopefully this will also lead to other Marvel movies...

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film served well to set the stage for the next (X) number of sequels. Characters were defined and history was given. The special effects were well done and not overdone. I'm not a Patrick Stewart fan but I did like him in this part. The story is, and characters are, well defined in their roles of good and evil and though I didn't think some of the super powers were to super, it made those powers more believable. It was a very enjoyable action/fantasy film and did the comic book series justice. I will probably go see it again, and I suggest you see it at least once.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-22-2000 02:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg said>>The final scene involving Patrick Stewart was a stroke of pure class and elegance.<<

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. It's interesting to see Hugh Jackman in an American role as Wolverine. He's been in a few Australian shows (he's an Aussie) and can sing like few others to boot.

Nice to see the little girl from The Piano Anna Pacquin getting some work again as Rogue after winning her oscar. She's not an Aussie (New Zealander) but no doubt if she makes it big we'll adopt her anyway...

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 03:57 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All these Aussies are making it big over here. You may wanna try your hand at acting John and come seek your fortune in the U.S.of A.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2000 07:36 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg - Yes, I saw the X in the Fox logo fade out later too, so your not completely crazy. But that wasn't the only subtlty either. Did anyone else notice how Toad (played by Ray Park, a.k.a. "Darth Maul") swung that bar around over his head as if it were a double-bladed lightsaber? It happens right after he kicks Storm down the elevator shaft, then he gives the camera a quick smile just before the scene cuts out. Very subtle, yet unmistakable.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-25-2000 12:52 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too noticed that Nic. Director Bryan Singer threw that in to see if anyone was paying attention. He likes to do things like that to throw the audience a bit.

I loved the film, however I am curious as to why Halle Berry, a very talented actress and mega babe, couldnt pull this role off? It is like she tried so hard to be storm that she became just stiff with her lines. As for Fatme Janskin, or whatever the hell her name is, wrong person for Jean Grey all the way. Just not enough going up top ya know!

Ian McKellan could have been a bit more diabolical dont ya thing, but I do think his rather dry protrayal was actually quite good. Kind of underscores his distaste for us regular humans.

All in all i loved this picture. The cast is already contracted for the next two pictures. Bryan Singer is meeting with FOX regarding contracting to direct the next two. They should be just as fantastic.

Dave

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-28-2000 04:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dwayne, I'll be right there. I'll bring some polish for when I have to give old Oscar a rub. I'll even remember you in my speech...

That X in the Fox tag is very subtle indeed. The tag is really sharp too. Did they do that on the X Files Movie also?

Steven Clode
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2000 08:37 AM      Profile for Steven Clode   Email Steven Clode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only just seen this movie as it was only released here in the UK yesterday but i thought it was very cool, It had great style and i must sat Wolverine is the main man........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: