Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Perfect Storm

Author Topic: Perfect Storm
Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 06-29-2000 03:31 AM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect Storm = Perfect Crap

Wow! is all i have to say about this one. I sat there for over two hours for what? Ok Ok so here is the lowdown.

Beggining: slow and pointless.
Action (rising action): ugh!
Ending: depressing
acting: ugh!
George cloony: ugh! (he was better as batman and that was bad )
(you get the picture)

rating: I give this one four and a half ughs!
kind of makes you wonder what the whole point to the whole entire movie was wondering if it was worth watching it as those two plus hours sink along with the movie. yeah i can sure see this one being a real natural disaster.......in the box office . oh well time to shut down.

again i say "ugh". i all the sudden feel dirty. i shouldnt dis though sorry. just be warned.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-29-2000 06:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING...SPOILERS AHEAD, BUT THIS FILM IS SO BAD, YOU'LL THANK ME FOR THEM.

Why does ol' Wolfgang keep getting projects? This was HORRIBLE! I did not care about one single character in the flick. Ethan, you've put it well. The first hour is nothing more than "let's introduce everybody so we will all feel for them later in a traditional style formulatic and lifeless plot". After a few minutes of some of the worst character development I can remember in recent flicks, I was counting the ceiling tiles.

So ok, FINALLY we get out to sea and are eagerly expecting some fantastic "storm" and some action. (Why else would anyone see this movie?) What happens? Suddenly we're on a little boat with the warden of the Shawshank prison! Do we care? Have we even seen these people before? Should we care? NO. They of course must be rescued and apparently Wolfgang expects us to give a flip about the rescue team as well. Yeah right. Let 'em drown so we can get back to Clooney protraying his Mr. Cool character! Is that a rip in the curtains I see?

So back and forth we go between the REAL people of the movie and these useless extras who disappear as quickly as they appeared, adding absolutely nothing to the film except clocking more time for seat warming in anticipation of the next crowd foolish enough to buy tickets. And those seats will be mighty toasty from all the gas everyone will be expelling over this movie.

Before I forget, yes indeed everything airborne (helicopters and airplanes) are absolutely just as first rate and realistic as they were in Air Force One. Of course, that's not saying anything.

Even when the movie is all said and done (yes they die, but none of them seem to mind it as they are drowning to death), we realize that we haven't had enough screen time devoted to Mary Stuart Mastrantonio! Hey, they paid for her, they mine as well bring her back in a dragged out ending to do a lame speech as an unbelieveable amount of people join in a church to mourn over the loss of these 6 guys. Wow. I didn't realize they were so popular around town. I start to wonder if perhaps the auditorium could be sealed airtight and a vacuum could somehow be rigged to literally suck the trash out and clean the theater automated-style.

Even the sound was boring. In many instances the music interfered with the scene, but generally speaking it was just loud without character. And to think The Patriot sounded awful damn good just 2 nights earlier in this same auditorium.

Oh well. I should've pegged this before, but I was hoping. Even if you get in for free, this one is not worth the cost of your time.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 07:27 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half character exposition, half wind and water, all crap. Wolfgang Peterson just keeps sucking and sucking. He, Ridley Scott, and Brian DePalma should just be disposited on a desolate island and forgotten.

The Perfect Storm is the perfect example of boring action. It's very easy to become quickly desensitized to the destruction of the storm as we are inundated with constant gales blowing, rolling waves crashing, and a monotonous Apollo Thirteenish score from James Horner. And it really kills me to say that because I'm a big James Horner fan. I liked the music itself, but not the way it served the film.

I was expecting a little more Christopher McDonald. But his scenes sucked anyway, so it's a waste of a good actor. The same can be said for pretty much the entire cast. In the end, all that can be said is that we have a group of men who love to sail and fish, they get the catch of their lives, go to extremes to help one another during the storm, and DIE! And the amazing thing is that if any of them had actually lived, the movie would have been worse.

I imagine the movie did the book no justice whatsoever, and I still want to read it, but it burns me to know that the chronicle of this amazing and devastating event at sea could be translated into the thing how available at theatres everywhere. To say I'm disappointed is a gross understatement. And so the search goes on for a high quality blockbuster film this summer.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 09:40 AM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mary ELIZABETH, not Mary STUART...But that does not matter, what matters is this movie is C-R-A-P and I don't even know why I sat through it at all. I saw the previews, said wow, that looks horrible, and it was. That is all there is to that.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 08:06 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mince words, guys-tell us what you really think. And for this, my booker passed up Rocky and Bullwinkle and Chicken Run.

Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 11:09 PM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so Tom if your booker passed up the only two kids movies worth while right now that means you must be getting either the kid or scary movie, neither of which will intrest anyone...Lucky you. Your booker is retarded.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-03-2000 01:42 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to change bookers, Tom?

This film has come out simultaneously here in Aussieland and in America? Why? I guess they don't want it out there too long so they'll at least get good week 1 box office before everyone realises it's crap.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2000 03:18 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the worst movies ever!

That digital sea sure did look silly, i guess water is that hard to make digital, right?

Give me ''THE ABYSS'' anyday!

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2001 12:55 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually taking this from a reply to the Mummy Returns (got a little off topic)...I figure it belongs here:

"Maybe its just because I'm from Gloucester but I liked the Perfect Storm.

As far as the hero part. We have men and women dying every year at sea, I don't know if you noticed but at the beginning of the film they showed a plaque with hundreds of peoples names that have died at sea over the years. The fishing industry is a very scary and dangerous occupation and the men and women that go out there every day in 100 degree weather on the middle of the ocean in my opinion are heroes. I'm not saying the movie was a picture perfect view of the people in gloucester but it wasn't bad. Bars and funny accents are the thing here

Take in mind it was a true story (to an extent, they don't know exactly what happened when the ship went down) and true stories aren't always known to be the most entertaining."

Too Add--- I agree with everyone that the graphics and Special Effects were just to be laughed at. I think that if I didn't grow up with this kind of story line in my own life everyday I wouldn't have liked the movie. This is how it is.... Someone in an earlier post said something about the church scene, ALL THOSE PEOPLE AT THE FUNERAL FOR 6 MEN!! Thats how it is here. I live in a very close knit town and if 6 people died at sea that church is filled (which happens to be called St. Ann's, really a church in Gloucester).

This movie could have been alot better and it does the book no justice but it was good for my city I just wish it showed more of the pain the people from fishing industy's really endore. I have friends that have died at sea......and they were just content to be out on the ocean.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: