Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Road Trip

Author Topic: Road Trip
Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-19-2000 05:10 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that this was a good movie. It has all of the clique' strereotypical college jokes but hey it made me laugh. then again i also love brainless comedy. Although it was different from what i had expected. It still made me laugh. i honestly thought that Tom Green would have more of a role than he actually did. I wonder how it will do here.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 10:19 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Ethan. There's nothing like no brainer comedy, and I really enjoyed this one. I thought the scene where the girl is beating the hell out of her boyfriend's car, then beating the hell out of him was a little too much, and it didn't make me laugh so much as shock me. Especially when she turns the bat on him. But other than that and a few other scenes, I really enjoyed the movie. It was really good. And I enjoyed it because of that goodness.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 10:46 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut Butter
The old man

You will all understand when you see it.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 08:03 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have got to be kidding-this is one of the most unfunny comedies ever made, as well as extremely offensive.
I have no problems with bad taste in a film, but I do have a problem with irresponsibility. Is there really any necessary reason for drug use in a film in this day and age as a comedic plot element? Drugs are a serious problem, and trash like this doesn't help the problem. An old man smokes pot and hears a talking dog. Yeah, that's a riot. A girl calls in a bomb threat to postpone an exam that her boyfriend is late for. At least in this area, it seems there's a news story every day about a school being closed because someone thought it would be funny to call in a bomb threat. In this film, that's no problem-the goal was accomplished.
But the biggest thing is-IT ISN'T FUNNY!! Tom Green joins the ranks of Pauly Shore as one of the most annoying people to ever make a film. Hopefully this will have a quick fade.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 01:53 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a violence influenced by the media arugment, is it? Drugs are a serious problem, teen violence is a serious problem, school shootings are a serious problem. I know that gang violence and drug related crime is a serious problem too, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Death Wish or Robocop. Sure Road Trip's irresponible, but if I took the time to reflect on all the irresponiblities in the world, I wouldn't enjoy a damn thing. You didn't enjoy this movie, Tom. That's cool. You didn't like the drugs or bomb threats, I didn't like the girl beating up on the guy. No problem.

But because I enjoyed the rest of movie, don't think for a minute that I'm irresponible. I've never been arrested, I've never taken illegal drugs and the only legal drugs I've ever taken are antibiotics, over the counter medications, and nicotine via second hand smoke. I've never been drunk before. I was never expelled or suspended from school and if I ever fought anyone, I didn't try to beat them within an inch of their life like some students at my school would. Like I said, this movie is a no brainer comedy. I didn't think Something About Mary was very funny, but several people enjoyed it. And I didn't think they were morons or perverts because of it.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 10:56 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am certainly not calling you or anyone else who enjoyed this 'film' irresponsible-I blame the producers and the studio. This from Dreamworks, the people who brought you Private Ryan and American Beauty-two films that any studio would be proud of. Is Steven Spielberg proud of Road Trip?
Look, I'm nearly 40 years old, and the parent of teenagers. Do I think they need to see this kind of behavior? No. Can I stop them if they choose to watch these films? No again, but I would hope they would be more discerning in their choice of entertainment. This film isn't marketed to my demographic; I know it isn't. I sold tickets all weekend, and I know who wanted to see this film-kids.
I didn't think it was funny, you did-that's fine. I just can't imagine anyone thinking that scene with the waiter sticking French toast down his pants is even remotely amusing.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, but I still hope it does a real quick fade.

Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 08:42 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go my man Tom Green. What a funny movie. College life! If it were only that good.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2000 05:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I hate is that they make these movies that are obviously aimed at high school kids, and they're rated R so most of the people who want to see it, aren't old enough. ARRRRGH$#^$#%#%$!

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2000 11:28 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight at the 7:00 show, I had 7 paid admissions, and 6 who did not have ID's, purchased tickets to other films, and walked into the Road Trip auditorium. We nabbed them before the feature even started, and showed them the door. Game over.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2000 11:36 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, <<

Tom, last time I checked, we'd not yet lost that right! Express on, brother!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2000 11:59 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that this movie has not done better business after its first two weeks. I've been to three different showings at three different theatres and there has been a lot of laughter from the audience. It's the kind of movie that is best to see with a larger audience, because laughter from others adds a lot to this kind of movie. I can see that the movie would not be as enjoyable in a nearly empty theatre.

This movie is quite special in my area because two of the theatres showing it are Huntsville's Carmike 10 and Decatur's Regal River Oaks Cinema 8. D. J. Qualls, who plays Kyle in the movie, in my opinion, really stole the show. He is the older brother of Eric Qualls, who used to manage the Carmike 10. Eric is married to the projectionist at the River Oaks Cinema 8. It's really a small world.

Evans

"My boys founded a cattle ranch and named it Focus."
"Why?"
"That's where the sons raise meat."

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 12:21 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm a parent too...

No, I won't take the kids to this one.

But admit it! It's just "us" here.

When the dog spoke to the old man.....

You laughed, didn't you?!

shhhh... (It's okay)

Russ

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 07:59 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh-no I didn't laugh at the talking dog. In fact, I've never thought the Bush Beans commercials with the talking dog were very funny either. (Perhaps now we know what's in those beans)
But...Road Trip is gone from my theatre-it's out of my life forever, time to move on until the next sleazy teen comedy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-25-2000 04:35 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so it was crass and rude, but it's that sort of movie...and the crass gags were outweighed by some genuinely funny pieces.

I laughed a little at the dog, but I'd seen the trailer a hundred times so it wasn't too fresh a joke for me.

I was a little shocked and annoyed by the 'joke' of calling in a bomb threat to save a bit of time so he could do his exam after running late. I think that was in poor taste and not necessary.

The rest of it? I thought it was no better or worse than a couple of dozen films that came out in the eighties of its like.

6/10

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: