Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Next Best Thing

Author Topic: Next Best Thing
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2000 08:16 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This opened here yesterday.

I would just like to say that all those people who say Madonna can't act, should stick to singing only, should never stand in front of a camera in an acting capacity, is the worst actress of all time, those people should watch Next Best Thing.

She is absolutely magnificent!

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if her name isn't mentioned at next year's Oscar ceremony.

Madonna plays a woman in her mid forties who has no luck in love so she gets drunk with her gay best friend (played with incredible gusto by Rupert Everett) and they do the nasty. Next minute, she's pregnant and he's the father!

WOW!

Rupert Everett is SO good at playing the gay guy (ESPECIALLY the scene where he goes back to her ex boyfriend's work to get her keys back and pretends that HE is the ex boyfriend's GAY LOVER!) that you'd have to believe that he really IS gay! Now THAT'S ACTING, my friends.

Added to all of this is the remarkable rendition of Don Maclean's 'American Pie'. Surely now THIS must be the definative version of this American anthem. Mr Maclean's version DOES get a run within the film, but Madonna's version (though sadly, relegated to the credits) just blows it out of the water.

SLAP!

Oh... Thank God! It was only a nightmare! I had this terrible nightmare where I was someone who actually LIKED this film!

I had no idea that they even MADE movies like this anymore. How does a piece of shit like this get ANY financing? WHY do people still think Madonna has an OUNCE of acting ability? Newsflash! SHE DOESN'T!!! This tripe HAS to go down as one of the WORST piece of tripe ever to be printed on film.
How on earth has the director of "Midnight Cowboy" come to this???

Opens Today! Must end soon!

See it at your peril.

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 01:17 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to lessen your observation of Rupert Everett's acting capacities, John, but the man really IS gay. Just thought you should know. Really liked his character in My Best Friend's Wedding.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2000 06:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dwayne

Thanks for the answer, but you should read it again. It's a gag.

I know he's gay...(not that there's anything WRONG with that)

However I really do think Rupert Everett IS a good actor and can't for the life of me work out what he's doing acting in this slop. ALARM RUPERT, ALARM! Your career is about to go down the toilet!

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 10:11 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that, John. The gag went over my head. I agree though. Rupert is a good actor. I first saw him in that weird ass movie The Cemetery Man and he made this "yikes" grimace at one part in the movie that I saw him repeat in My Best Friend's Wedding. I didn't know who the actor playing George was until I saw that facial expression of his. I didn't see Inspector Gadget, but he's wrong for the part of Dr. Claw. You're not even supposed to SEE Dr. Claw.

"He's the phone guy! Not that there's anything wrong with that."

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2000 10:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rupert Everett is not only gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I think he may also be a close-talker.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: