Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Battlefield Earth

Author Topic: Battlefield Earth
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-12-2000 12:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...what can I say? This was...uh..."different." Some of the effects scenes were decent. Other than that, I was none too impressed.

It's not so much that this is a "bad" film; it's more of a "why the hell did I just spend two hours watching this thing" film.

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 09:56 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't plan on seeing this movie simply because I don't like L. Ron Hubbord, scientology, brainwashing propoganda. Additionally, I was glad when Travolta made a comeback, but now I've begun to wish he would have stayed in my memory only as a greaser, dancer, and cowboy.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 01:14 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree, Scott. When watching this thing, I just felt... there. And when I saw the running time was two hours, I figured since the material was adapted from a novel more than a thousand pages, it could either be a really good sign (the screenwriter taking the very best elements from the book) or a very bad sign (as in too much information compression for the movie to make any sense). It started out with promise. Then the movie becomes comicial. When we see the entrepreneurial side of the "demons", it feels all too human. And I felt it was trying to be a lot of things. In the beginning when we see transitional wipe after wipe, it reminded me of Star Wars. So I figured that was the type of science fiction atmosphere they were going for. Then when the Harriers come into play, it feels like Independence Day. And remember that scene (it was in the trailer too) when Barry Pepper is running in slow motion while the Psychlos are firing at him and everything around him is breaking apart and flying all over the place? Didn't that scene seem a little familiar? Like... oh I don't know... The Matrix perhaps? The scenes during the revolt where the humans and aliens are exchanging automatic weapons and plasma (I'm guessing there) fire were almost boring. I had no enthusiasm what so ever. The movie did have it's moments like when John Travolta and Forest Whitaker are watching the humans and figure their favorite food is rats and when they argue as to whether or not the humans can really fly (yeah, I'm a real philanthropist, I know). I kinda feel sorry for John spending all those years trying to bring this project to the screen and this is the end result. I felt the potential for a good sci-fi action flick was there, but they just didn't deliver.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-16-2000 05:00 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem with this picture is that they chose a first time director, a George Lucas clone, Roger Christian. A film of this magnetude should have had a greater director who had experience with this sort of thing.

I myself enjoyed the picture, mainly because I never once tried to compare it with anything else and just allowed the storytellers to tell me a story.

Remember when you were children and your parents would read you bedtime stories? You didnt care what it was or what it was about or who wrote it, you cared that it was told. That was it. For some reason as adults we have lost the ability to see through the eyes of children. It's ok to grow up, but not to grow old. Have fun for cryin out loud!!!

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2000 09:09 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost always act like a child. At least that's usually what I'm told. This movie was one bedtime story I almost fell asleep in, and I'm NOT kidding. Sure, it was because I'd been up for twenty four hours striaght, but I figured some explosions would wake me up. But I was just there watching the story in a kind of detached state. I really do try not to watch movies too seriously, but I might have had a bit more fun if the movie wasn't directed by a Lucas clone.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 08:48 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an awful peice of crap. I love a good sci-fi movie, but this was plainly a waste of good money. This is my pet peeve. Studios spend tons of cash on some stupid movie and it bombs. Another example, the new Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. Just from watching the trailer, I get the impression that it will bad. Inspector Gadget bad (awfully horrible).

Why not spend all that good money on other smaller films and give more up and coming filmmakers a chance at stardom.

Reg

Carl Welles
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 09:11 PM      Profile for Carl Welles   Email Carl Welles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actual reviews! Doesn't this just say it all?

-

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2000 11:34 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer left me underwhelmed. The comment about Travolta better being left off in the past is on-target. That's just the feeling I've been getting, but couldn't put my finger on it.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: