Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bringing Out The Dead

Author Topic: Bringing Out The Dead
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 09:52 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this tonight. Martin Scorsese is in a league of his own, and truly understands how to best employ the artform of film to convey meaning.

His sense of rhythm, pacing and tempo are rarely matched by other directors! He knows when to be frenetic, and when to be still and silent. He makes you listen to sound by removing it or adding it in when appropriate, and allows you to observe subtle details such as when cinematographer Robert Richardson fades the background light in a perfectly composed scene. By the end, his film is totally absorbing, the journey is complete and completely moving.

He is like an impressionist painter giving voice to a tortured soul. I love it.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I walked out of the trade screening halfway through. Couldn't take any more of it. It was just too damn boring. Funny part is once I got up and left, others followed me out as well! We all talked there briefly and everyone thought it was about as entertaining as upchucking.

Martin Scorsese should stick to gangster films.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, funny Brad, I did that too, about halfway as well. I just couldn't take anymore of Cage, and walked out when they werei n the ambulance blaring that 10,000 Maniacs song, which went on way too long.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 10:48 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a lot of flashy filmaking (nothing new for scorsese) but it lacked something I can't put my finger on, The other ambulance drivers were the most interesting, but cage was just playing Nicolas (I'm a coppola) Cage yet again...

(if the snuff film in 8mm had nic cage being killed I would have liked it)

can't wait for Gone in 60 seconds....(hurl halfway up throat and climbing)

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 11:06 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few people walked out of the screening I attended. One guy walked out right at the start, obviously having walked into the wrong movie. About half a dozen walked out after the second reel. In fact, there was a lot of restlessness around that point - someone's baby started crying (and stopped, but continued to snore throughout!) and ushers came in to check about 4 times.

Things settled down nicely after that.

Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 11:31 PM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie too long ago to back my opinion up with any details, but geesh this movie sucked! That's all I can remember, actually. That and a really cool shot when Nic climbs out of the flipped ambulance. Rob Richardson is the man. He takes crappy movies and makes them look good... HorseWhisperer, Snow Falling on Cedars... but man, what is up with Scorcese? To be honest, I'm losing faith. Spielberg was able to redeem himself after Lost World. Let's hope Scorcese can do the same.

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@hotmail.com
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2000 09:04 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the warning I was given about this movie, I went to watch it anyway, and I actually stayed throughout the showing. Wasn't TOO bad. Really liked Tom Sizemore's character. Also really liked Ving Rhames. I can't say that there were any memorable moments though. I don't think it'd stand up to a second viewing. At least I made it through the first.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: