Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas

Author Topic: Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2000 04:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh now this one was a real winner. A must see! Fantastic! Incredible! Simply put, WOW! Of course I'm kidding.

Watching this film actually made me think of the SouthPark movie. For anyone who has seen that film, remember the scene just before the Canadians bomb the Baldwin Manor? One of the boys says "hey do you know what sucks about being a Baldwin...nothing!" And then the house and the Baldwins are of course, blown to bits. What that line should say now is "hey do you know what sucks about being a Baldwin...sinking low enough to star in that crappy Flintstones movie!"

What were the producers thinking? I mean, just because Lucas can release a prequel doesn't mean the masterminds behind the current Flintstones live action movie will succeed as well.

This movie is just stupid, pathetic and lame. I think they took the gag a bit far this time when Fred and Wilma were at the amusement park (with dinosaurs for roller coasters) and there was a woman shooting video of her kids with a rock camera! Is that supposed to be funny? I know I'm a little old for kiddie movies, but I don't think today's kids will be entertained by this garbage. Geez, maybe it's just me, but this movie is just plain BAD!

Oh yeah, and what the hell was up with the little green space alien that had NOTHING to do with the whole point of the movie?

At least I didn't have to sit through that Wal-Mart baby flick.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-29-2000 03:31 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailers enough to put me off. It was a great tv cartoon, but even the first movie (or is that now the second movie? Ah, who cares?) was lame except for John Goodman's portrayal of Fred.

...and here we have another foreign actor trying to put on an American accent. Academy Award nominated The Full Monty to Viva Rock Vegas...next stop...oblivion.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-29-2000 02:01 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first movie turned me off because it was pure hype... no substance. It was this way from the beginning: when they first announced the picture, Michael Keaton was going to be Fred (can you believe THAT?), based purely on the fact that he was popular in the Batman movie! Keaton's flame flickered, though, before it got made. John Goodman was a good choice, I will give them that.

However, they DID end-up giving us a fat, unappealing, Betty Rubble; simply because Rosie O'Donnell was the flavor of the day!

This, and the obligatory swear word to get a PG rating (which made it unsuitable for my kids, I don't mind saying), left an overall bad taste.

If Hollywood could only get away from being cutesy and stick to what makes great movies memorable (STORIES), they would be far ahead of the game.

If the new Flintstone's movie is in the same vein as the first, and it sounds like it is, they can KEEP it!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that any of you guys bothered to watch it...........unless that is you are required to do a print check?//!8&65! Argh!
Mark

Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 11:01 PM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "print check" was the first public screening (you can only imagine my concern! ). The previews were good ("Chicken Run" & "Bullwinkle"), but ten minutes into the film (sorry, I mean "movie") I said, "Looks okee-dokee to mee!" and left.
I decided to clean underneath the popper instead.

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@hotmail.com
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2000 02:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I had no choice. Mr. Vee strapped me to a chair and forced me to look for some "secret code!"

Seriously though, look at the alternatives that came out this week. The Wal-Mart baby movie??? I think NOT!!! (This one was shorter too.)

Chris Wootten
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2000 06:57 AM      Profile for Chris Wootten   Email Chris Wootten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like one NOT to book for a screening....anyway why all the remakes and sequels ??????? Has hollywood finally run out of new ideas ?????????

Oh Yehhhhhhhhhh !

------------------
"I luv the smell of napalm in tha mornin !"

Keep Smiling......Chris

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-07-2000 10:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I was commenting on above without having actually seen it, so to be absolutely fair, I watched it.

Result: no change from my hunches. As Brad said, Gazoo had no point being in the picture, other than they just wanted to include him. He did absolutely nothing, I mean NOTHING!

I did catch the cameos by Hanna, Barbera and by John Stevenson's voice (as the minister) in the wedding scene. Those were the high points for me. I also appreciated them sparing us a fat Betty this time. The guy did an acceptable job as Fred, but this part was made for John Goodman.

There was no blatant swear word this time, only a fading curse by the rock star wanting to know what the 'bloody hell' was going on, as the action followed Fred away from the room. I didn't think that was terrible... not appropriate mind you, just not terrible.

Overall impression: weak, very weak. Disappointing. Tv shows don't always translate well to the big screen, especially non-superhero cartoons.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 10:49 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how a live action version of The Jetsons would do? Seen bits and pieces of this film. Can't say I'm any more interested in watching this movie now than I was when I watched the trailer.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-15-2000 12:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dwayne Said:

"I wonder how a live action version of The Jetsons would do?"

If they don't cast Jim Carrey as George and Danny DeVito as Spaceley then don't even THINK of making the film.

Speaking of Hanna-Barbera cartoon-to-live action adaptations, what has been going on with the live action 'Scooby-Doo'? Mike Myers as Shaggy? Are they on crack? and what will they do for Scooby? CGI? Or a stupid suited guy like Lucas did with 'Howard The Duck'? who knows?

Aaron

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-16-2000 08:38 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warnings on this one. Sounds even more lame than the first one--which I had to sit through twice (ran one print check and one money show) at the Las Vegas Hilton. We should've charged 'em a penalty for makin' us do that...

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-16-2000 11:10 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hated the trailer in the first place. it enough told me about what a lame piece of crap this movie was going to be. i mean come on Stephen Baldwin as Barney? what the hell is that crap! Lets bring el stupido from the terribly done Bio-Dome flick. Has anyone seen One Bad Cop? Personally the only good movie I have seen him was Usual Suspects. Oh yeah, and since when did Barney have his hair parted down the middle? Rick Moranis looked more like a Barney Rubble to me. that is like having George Clooney playing Batman. Oh wait a minute that really happened. Nevermind I thought that i was just having another nightmare.

The only person that actually resembled a character from the flinstones was the girl from Ally Mcbeal that played betty.

I dont know I would probably rather watch natalie portman and Bad weird curly haired guy from Reindeer Games Get it on!!!:0

Personal Note t Brad, I think you really wanted to watch Flinstones. i have all of the e-mails you sent me of how exstatic you were about watching this. Remember? Movie of the year? I know you enjoyed it. like a kid in a candy store.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha. Very funny Dr. Jones. I think NOT! The first one was hell enough for me. Who'da thought they could make one even worse?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm, what are we talking about now? Oh! This picture's gone already, isn't it?! Video next week!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 04:49 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egad! Why did they bother making this? The little secretary out of Ally Macbeal makes a good Betty, but William Baldwin might as well just end it all now if this is the only sort of role he can get.

No surprises...it was everything I expected from seeing the trailer...

Nothing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: