Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » American Psycho

Author Topic: American Psycho
Juan Mendez
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 11:26 AM      Profile for Juan Mendez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is not for the faint of heart, but all in all it was a pretty good movie, a little confusing on the mood at times. I won't reveal anything because I think everyone should see it for themselves to form an opinion. But I am glad Christian Bale got the part instead of DiCaprio, Bale was perfect for the part.

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2000 12:34 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here is my take on the movie.

Its about 65% great, 10% really great! and 25% kinda bad.

I thought Bateman's character was more insane in the begining and when he was killing people for fun, than when he was actually losing it and becoming more visibly insane. You get more of a sense of how NUTS Bateman is acting cool doing his thing, murdering homeless people, dogs, and women and then just going on with his life normally like the rest of the people he associates with. He's more of a Psycho when he is comparing business cards, and bathing himself thouroughly, the excessive violence is just another part of his insanity but no different than the way he excersises and tans.

The violence is Very comical however, the scenes when he actually does the ritual homocides in his apartment are very well done. Jared Leto's scenes are hilarious and the scenes where he is talking about 80's music while planning how exactly he is going to go through with the vicious torture and killing work marvelously.

I guess the only problems I had with the movie were the explanetory narrative in the begining, and the characters "change" about 3 quarters into it. In the begining I don't think it was necesary to have Batemen say "I am Patrick Bateman" they use his name so many times in the movie, I think the audience would get the point that he is Patrick Bateman, the American Psycho. DUH! And I don't think it was necesary to have him go through this change where it was all "what have I done? Oh my god what have I done" then at the end, the very last line in fact, have him say "this was all pointless, I have never changed, I am still going to inflict my pain on other people"

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. Hell of a lot better than some of the other garbage we've been getting, Keeping the Faith (which is the worst movie I have been forced to watch this year) Return to Me, Where the Money is, Ready to Rumble, Rules of Engagement (how many times has this piece of shit been made?) I could go on....

And yes, Christain Bale was right on the money. I look at it like a 360 on Tom Cruises character in Eyes Wide Shut. heh..

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 12:31 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple problems with the movie. First, have any of the people making this movie ever used a chainsaw? It doesn't keep running when you throw it down a stairwell at a fleeing victim. Second, how many times have we seen the bullet from the gun blow up a car? Do they realize what the odds are? Ok, maybe I'm getting too technical, but there was one thing VERY disturbing to me. The biggest crowd reaction came not from any of the gruesome ways he did his deeds, but rather when he held the cat up to the ATM machine. What sympathy we have for cute, furry animals.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2000 12:34 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching Total Recall at this place called Big Town 9 dollar theatres. And everyone would laugh their asses off during scenes like when that kid with the backpack was being shreaded to nothing while Schwarzenegger was using him as a body shield. Or when the characters' faces at the end were expanding like blowfish due to the thin Martian air. Yet there was dead silence when Michael Ironside's character shot at that rat and its guts spilled and dripped on the screen that had Schwarzenegger repeatedly saying, "Get your ass to Mars. Get your ass to Mars." So it doesn't surprise me in the least that audience members would gasp at a kitten with a gun to its body being fed to an ATM. But that's what psychopaths do. There sick. And so are most audience members, which is why they decided to buy a ticket to this movie in the first place. But I actually saw two women sit near the back of the auditorium, a few rows in front of the port window when I started the show, and thirty minutes later, both of them were gone. What boggles my mind is the fact that the two script writers (and one of them was the director I think) were both women. I haven't seen the movie all the way through, but I caught enough to ascertain that it's pretty damn misogynistic. I guess they're both either real good sports or enjoy the irony. As for Christian Bale, he was damn good. DeCaprio isn't near as pumped up as Bale was for this role. So any mention now of the fact Leo was considered for the part just makes me laugh out loud.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2000 01:59 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you like how the director appears on interviews, excusing how offensive her movie might be by insisting it's a black comedy... as if there's something wrong with ME if I don't get a kick out of movies like this?

Face it, guys. These women think we're all basically one tick away from being homocidal maniacs. Bale's character is just an "all American kid" (kind of like how life in America's suburbs is exactly like what you see in American Beauty). No, these women aren't perpetuating misogynistic ideas. They're just echoing the sentiments that men like you and me have woven into the fabric of American society. Don't ya get it? It's MY fault.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: