Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Spike & Mike's 2000 Classic Anim. Fest.

Author Topic: Spike & Mike's 2000 Classic Anim. Fest.
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-05-2000 08:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff. One of the better Spike & Mike fests in recent years. They've finally learned that audiences get bored when they keep showing the same shorts year after year, so this year's festival includes almost all new material. I've seen "Billy's Balloon" before, which was probably in last year's fest, but pretty much everything else was new (well, OK, I'd seen "Blue Shoe" and "Bunny" before as well, but only as individual shorts and not in a single program).

There are no amazing stand-out shorts this year (no Wallace & Gromit, etc.), but the general quality level is pretty high. I generally prefer watching cel animation to computer animation, and am thankful that there's more of it this year than last (where an alarmingly high per centage of the Spile & Mike fest was computer-generated).

On the topic of animation festivals--other than S&M (no, not that kind of S&M), what other good animation festivals are in current circulation? The Aardman fest that was making the rounds in 1996 or so was pretty good, but I haven't seen anything from them recently.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-29-2000 04:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Aardman lads have been busy making their first feature, "Chicken Run". It opens June 23 with Mel Gibson in the lead as the Rooster. (!).
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120630

I love their Wallace and Grommit films and now my kids do also, I can still get to watch them and not feel guilty about it.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-07-2000 10:46 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen one Wallace and Grommit and was entertained. And I was certainly impressed by much of the animation, I can appreciate what goes into that as I've had hands-on experience with it.

Two things, however, keep me from being able to sit through another one:

(1) The films are overly long, and
(2) the characters look tired with their mouths hanging open all the time, which is annoying.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: