Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » God's Army

Author Topic: God's Army
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2000 11:07 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mormons. Like it or not, they're out there.

Hollywood has rarely been kind to Mormons. They're often portrayed as villains, deviants, hypocrites and/or just a bunch of doofuses. There aren't a lot of Mormons who make movies and even fewer of them who choose to tell stories about themselves for release in commercial theatres.

But, now, independent writer/director/producer/actor Richard Dutcher has chosen to tell a story about those familiar-looking Mormon missionaries. His goal was to "get it right" for once and give an honest, matter-of-fact portrayal of what life is like for these clean-cut young men and women. (Orgazmo it ain't!) Make no mistake about the purpose of this film. God's Army is a movie made by a Mormon and meant specifically to play to a Mormon audience.

So why am I telling you about it?

...because when this movie comes to your town or to your theatre you'll witness a small box office phenomenon. The local Mormons will find out about God's Army and then they'll gobble it up like lime Jell-O. So far, this movie has only played on about 20 screens in Utah, including independent theatres as well as some owned by Century, Cinemark and Lowes. And, in its opening 4 days, the per-screen average for God's Army was bigger than the national, per-screen average for Mission to Mars (which opened on the same day). The numbers have remained strong. And, now that Dutcher knows the movie is a hit in Utah, he'll do a "platform release" expansion to any other city where the film can play for at least a couple of weeks to a receptive, Mormon crowd.

Dutcher's inspiration for this shoestring-budget film was, in part, the success of other low-budget, independent films targeted at a specific, niche market... like the minority and gay-oriented films of recent years. What he's managed to produce is quite remarkable for a number of reasons. Specifically, the acting and production values often belie the film's small budget. (Unlike your average Blair Witch Project, these guys used tripods and camera dollies!) And then there's the fact that this movie has already recovered its production costs before it's even been shown to a paying audience outside of Utah.

This film tells the story of a 19-year-old Mormon from Kansas who's just starting his full-time missionary service in the heart of Los Angeles. The challenges are immediate and, underlying all of them is the fact that he's not so firm in his own faith. But, through his experiences and his exposure to a handful of other missionaries (who have their own, unique backgrounds and levels of dedication), he eventually arrives at the place he wants to be. Don't kid yourself into thinking this is a Mormon version of Touched by an Angel. Instead, this is a smart, humorous and down-to-earth film celebrating a people whose voice is never heard in mainstream theatres.

Again, this movie is purely meant to entertain other Mormons. If you like Mormons you'll enjoy it. If you dislike them this won't help. And if you know nothing about Mormons a lot of what's in this movie could be downright confusing. But, like it or not, God's Army is out there. Before long, it could be knocking on the door of your theatre too.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0238247

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-19-2002 04:54 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am bumping this old review to make a point. Making points is what I do best. Most of them are screwy, but heY.

I loved this movie, and not because I am a mormon. I am non practicing, even considering opening my own friggin church! I think this film although made to play to a specific audience, really wasnt made for that. I think that Dutcher knew his audience, but wanted to make a film that explained his core audience instead of preached to it. This way, anyone could get it, and not be lost or even offended.

If you ever want to know how hard it is for people to be mormon, this is a true gem. Not preachy.

It brings to mind 8 Mile coming out next month. It is a movie about a rap artist, without bieng a rap movie. It explains what the core audience is all about, without bieng solely for that core audience.

Anytime you can do that as a director, you of course fill the niche, but also make it available for others who do not fit in that niche.

I loved the film.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: