Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Final Destination

Author Topic: Final Destination
Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 02:29 PM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word: fun.

Okay, okay... a few more words:
This is not the greatest horror/suspense movie of all time. This probably doesn't even measure up to "Scream", but I highly recommend it to people who like to have fun being spooked. What I probably appreciated most about this film was (1) the direction, and (2) the lead actor (shame on me, I don't even remember his name). These two factors turned an otherwise average script into a very entertaining, very artfully done, and sometimes even thought-povoking 95 minutes of film. It's the type of movie that makes me not care about its faults and shortcomings, because they never interrupted my enjoyment of the ride.
I always find it funny that people are so much more critical of movies than of other forms of entertainment. You never hear people getting off a roller-coaster saying things like, "Gee that sure was fun, but I wish that second loop in the loopty-loop could've been a bit tighter... it sure would've heightened my coaster-riding experience. Whoever designed this thing should go into designing dollhouses or something... what an idiot!"
So go see Final Destination and I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did.

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@bigsky.net
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Not a great flick, but fun nonetheless. Make sure to see this in a good sound system at reference level. It makes it more fun with all the audio stingers.

And the lead actor's name is Devon Sawa. He's been in: Idle Hands, Casper, S.L.C. Punk, Wild America and I'm sure plenty of others.

Wild America, yuk! Now THAT was bad.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 10:03 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree this was a fun "popcorn" film. If you want to be mildly amused I would suggest seeing this movie. And I also agree with brad about Wild America. YUK.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2000 04:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this film was kind of fun. Somebody sure had fun writing some of the death sequences. I really liked it when that chickie got hit by the bus. Boy was I surprised! And the effect was so much better than when Brad Pitt got hit by a car in Meet Joe Black. I loved it when the teacher turned on the gas burner in her house, the subwoofer just assaults you! They try to make you think that the house is gonna blow up. I wish my stove had that much bass!

Not a movie that I would see multiple times, though.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2000 07:54 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey: Final Destination is definitely not Oscar material but it is a fun ride nonetheless. Sometimes is it a treat just to sit and watch something like this. Not a great script or even a great premise but it is well done. When the girls got whacked with the bus i jumped out of my seat and that is something for me. I've been around theatres since I was in diapers (Dad was a manager) and it takes a lot to spook me but the bus scene did it. The audience reaction is what tell me that the director and the SFX crew did their jobs well

See it and hav fun.

Carl

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It suprised me. I thought that it was going to be a stupid teen flik. But it turned out pretty good. The ending was a little confusing at first. But all in all pretty good.

------------------
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-24-2000 03:28 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Final Destination is the first film project from former X-files producer and writer James B. Wong. He also was responsible for the short lived series, Space, above and beyond. This is the key reason that you all found the film as fun as you did.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-27-2001 02:10 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Not as good as I had hoped it would be (I love to have the crap scared out of me), but it was still a fun movie. Just watched it on DVD and there are deleted scenes (thank God they were removed) and a short on how they test screened it and then changed a subplot and the whole ending. There's also a documentary short about a woman who is an "intuitive investigator".

And according to the "death clock" game, I will die on June 16, 2035 at 5:05pm. Good to know.

Worth watching.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: