Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mission to Mars

Author Topic: Mission to Mars
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-20-2000 12:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film sucked ass, especially towards the end. I did like the EX effect of the speaking voice moving from the front of the screen around to behind me and back up front again, but that was the best part of the movie. Also, where the guy got twisted apart was cool, but it did not make up for the rest of the movie.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2000 02:09 PM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how this discussion topic could be a long one, 'cause what's the fun when everyone agrees. This movie is the type of movie that makes me lose respect for not only the makers of the movie, but also the people that it is targeted. It is hard for me to believe that anyone old enough to pay for an adult ticket could possibly come away from this movie feeling even slightly entertained.
From the incomprehensibly elementary plot devices (m&m DNA used as foreshadowing?) to the hokey, semi-heroic, semi-tragic excuse for an ending... this movie started nowhere, went nowhere, and amazingly enough... somehow ended up worse than it began.
I saw it for free and it was a waste of money.
(All this coming from a guy who prides himself on loving movies 'cuz they're movies and hating critics who have become so overly critical that they can't enjoy movies anymore.)

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@bigsky.net
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2000 05:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly this is the worst film I've seen this year. I also saw it for free, but feel I should've been paid to sit through it.

The entire movie seemed thrown together. I couldn't have cared less if anyone lived or died and that Don Bluth animated alien made me wish I had some produce I could've tossed at the screen.

Pathetic, lame, boring, you name it and that's what I thought of this flick.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2000 02:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Mission to Mars

Had such great potential and turned out to be terrible. From the trailer, it's hard not to get excited. Strong actors like Gary Sinese and Tim Robbins and being directed by Brian De Palma, I was expecting a truly great film. The PG rating did seem a little inappropriate, the guy spinning apart with blood and flying appendages is not something I would want little kids to see. The script tried too hard to show the emotional side of space exploration and failed miserably. It was like watching a bad Soap Opera in space with neat special effects. Personally, I'd rather watch the trailer 60 times in a row than sit through two more hours of this POS.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2000 04:59 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first real was smarmy, and I didn't buy the forced bonding BS. Then it was Ok till the last reel. Shades of ET, made me want to puke. The tear drop was a real groaner. Disney should stay with cartoons. All in all, was better than Saturday night TV, but a real dog.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 01:18 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't understand is why such established actors like Tim Robbins and Gary Sinise would participate in such a waste. I had such high respects for them after the likes of Shawshank, Forest G., etc. Its a disappointment to see their faces on such a pathetic work.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 04:27 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chad Souder:
What I don't understand is why such established actors like Tim Robbins and Gary Sinise would participate in such a waste. I had such high respects for them after the likes of Shawshank, Forest G., etc. Its a disappointment to see their faces on such a pathetic work.

Here's a direct quote from Gary Sinise that was in Boxoffice magazine: "It was a kind of role that I haven't had the opportunity to do," Sinise tells BOXOFFICE from his production offices in Los Angeles. "It's a very courageous part. What Jim McConnell does in the movie is very strong, and a very positive thing happens to him in the film....This was a lead in a big studio film that I thought could be really great." My guess is there was also a pretty fat paycheck.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2000 08:13 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too belive that Mission to Mars is one of the worst movies I've seen in a LONG time. The ending? Oh Lord that was SO cheezy. A team of semi-trained monkeys could have written a better script.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2000 03:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thnk they should have sent Patch Addams on the mission. At least there would have been a chuckle or two.
Mark

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2000 03:52 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee is it so bad? the movie has yet to hit the screens over here, i have seen the trailers for the film and from that i would say it was ok. You just can't trust those trailers right?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2000 05:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just played this last week. I agree with all the comments...it is a real disappointment. One thing that struck me: It never showed the astronauts leaving or arriving anywhere. No blastoff or landing scenes. I think this shows either: Budget over-runs, or: They were in such a hurry to get it released ahead of Warner Bros. "Red Planet" (which has now been moved to Christmas) that they cut those scenes out.

My fiance and I watched it together, and we were reduced to making jokes about it, such as "Gary Sinise should just say 'We didn't fail in Apollo 13, and dammit we're not going to fail here either!!"

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2000 07:05 PM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They picked Wild Wild West as the worst movie in a decade I don't think that any of them saw Mission to Mars. I agree so much promis. It just screamed DISNEY, from the fast pace of the movie to the music to the cheese alien at the end.

------------------
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 10:49 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a connection between Wild Wild West and Mission to Mars, and its the writers Jim and John Thomas. Which is strange because these two were responsible for Executive Decision which was a kick ass film. Graham Yost was another contributing writer to the blunder known as Mission to Mars. And he was the scribe that brought us Speed and Broken Arrow. Ted Tally was credited as co-screenwriter in the trailer to Mission to Mars, but not the film. Whether or not he lent his talents to the project, he also has turned out a good script with his adaptation of Silence of the Lambs. With these writers assigned to this work of bad fiction one can't help but think either A: Too many cooks spoil the broth. (Ex. Wild Wild West with its six writers) B:The writers are all losing their touch. Or the more likely C: Brian DePalma. Why Hollywood gives this man more directing projects is completely baffling. It is directors like DePalma and Emmerich (Mel Gibson, what the hell are you thinking!?) that give young aspiring film directors hope in breaking into an impossible
field of work. DePalma takes a group of talented actors and turns them into a group of lame characters rescuing another group of worthless characters (of which only one is alive thank god) in a technological backdrop that is hardly utilized. Also not utilized is the characters' intelligences. Case in point, when was the self-preservation aspect of the characters going to kick in when the sand tunnel defense system started snaking around menacingly? Did it not occur to them to seek shelter first, THEN stare at the anomaly from afar? Another case in point, the attempted rescue of Tim Robbins (I cared so much for the characters, I forgot their names) by Connie Nielsen. When Nielsen attempts to reel Robbins in but runs out of steel cable Robbins tells her to abort because she won't have enough fuel to return them both to the command and service module. And even the instrumentation states: Point of no return. A must have message for any astronaut who can't figure out that anything below 50% is the point of no return. I may not have a degree in Celestial Mechanics, but I'm pretty sure that she could have gotten to him and then burned off what little left was in her tanks to get them headed for the module and let inertia take care of the rest as they are still out in space. And if I'm wrong and they were close enough to have to fight off Mars' gravitational field, well then I'm sorry. I just killed two more worthless characters. Gary Sinise is the crappist I've ever seen him on the screen. Was it just me, or did he have too much eye liner on? The plot was lame and the editing jumpy. And as for the special effects... well the alien was supposed to be holographic, so that's why she looked so cartoonish. Pathetic. All this wasted money with a bad score thrown in to make the joke complete. Ennio Morricone should stick to composing for Westerns 'cause he sucks at just about everything else. The only non-Western score he made that was even worth a damn (not to mention the only Ennio score I possess) was for John Carpenter's The Thing. And that's funny, because I really thought Carpenter composed that himself. He must have coached Ennio closely. But getting back to the review at hand, I think I'll end this diatribe by stating that Mission to Mars is by far the worst film of 2000 it has been my displeasure to see. And I can't believe I just wasted this much time and space on the website for this movie. I guess I'm just venting.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2001 01:37 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what would have been great?

Its been aver a year since i saw this movie, so the detailsof this scene are pretty hazy, but im sure youll understand what im getting at.

the scene when tim robbins gets stuck too far away from the ship above the martian atmosphere and his wife tries to go out and svae him and the only way he can stop her is by killing himself by taking of his spacemask?

well, you can see things burning up in the martian atmosphere, so how about when she turns around, we see tim robbins burn up just like all the other space scrap.

that would have been funny.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 05:18 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of that scene... The physics are just plain wrong. The wife has a gas gauge on her arm that is moving towards empty as she propels herself towards him. Geez... All it would take would have a been a short blast to get her going in the right direction. Then a braking burst and a burst to get her back. Whats this "point of no return" BS. She could have traveled forever on the first burst. Didn't these guys see Destination Moon?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: