Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » New forum general policies...STRICT! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New forum general policies...STRICT!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-19-2000 11:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please read my second posting on this further down the page.

Here's everyone's chance to say what they REALLY think about the movies we are running.

There are no rules as to what you can or cannot say about a particular movie except:

• NEVER and I do mean NEVER post a comment before the first "public" screening of a film. The studios specifically do not let the press view their product until typically a day or two before it's release for public posting on opening day, and I will not allow any "advance" comments be made here either out of respect for the studios. Once that first "public" screening is out (even if it's a Saturday night sneak preview a couple of weeks early), then you are welcome to start a thread and make your comments. Remember "trade" screenings are NOT public screenings just like "studio invite only" screenings are not public and neither are acceptable for posting a review. (If you see a movie early via trade screening or special invite, please compose your review into a text file and save it for copy/pasting onto this forum on the day of it's public release.)
  • Always check to see if a thread has been started for a specific movie before you post your review as a "new topic". This way we can keep all reviews together.
  • Please use the actual movie title as the "subject" when starting a thread. (Titling a thread "Final Destination" makes it very easy to find all the reviews on "Final Destination" whereas a thread titled "Here's what Bob has to say about the new movie today" doesn't tell the members anything.)

This should be interesting.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-16-2000 04:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might also be a nice idea if significant plot elements were not divulged as has been the case in the Sixth Sense review. Not all of us have seen these movies beforehand and are looking up here to see if it's worth seeing.

A review, not the whole shabang...please?

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 02:28 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, maybe from now on in the topic you should say whether there are *spoilers* in the review.

for example
American Psycho *spoilers*

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 07:30 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why have we allowed three violations to the above rules in this forum.

Rocky & Bullwinkle and Perfect Storm aren't release to the general public until 6/30 and Scary Movie is not due for a couple more weeks, so why do we have reviews already posted.

I don't remember any sneaks being out.

Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 09:45 AM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre recieved its copy of Perfect Storm with instructions for a sneak on 6/24. I had not seen an ad for this before, but we showed it and got around 65-70 people w/out ads on our part, so SOMEONE knew about it somehow. As for Rocky & Bullwinkle, I am not sure about sneaks for that. But if I had to chose which one would have made the better sneak, i would have chosen R&B, not Perfect Crap.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 11:12 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not there were sneaks, there was a "world premiere" a few nights ago. Does that count as a "public performance" for the purposes of these forum rules?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-29-2000 03:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is too big of an issue in geenral. I certainly have not had any complaints from any studio. So long as this remains basically an industry forum, I wouldn't imagine it to be much of a big deal. Ain't It Cool News posts full reviews regularly waaaaay before release and there have been no problems, so I'm not too worried about early postings (unless of course, they're very early) much anymore. Of course, if a studio head drops me an email with a legit concern, I'll oblige them and start moderating the start of threads.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-16-2001 05:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to bump this to the top again it seems...

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 02:50 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bumping to the top ...

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-14-2002 03:38 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the top we go.......

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2002 06:11 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

The Melbourne French Film Festival opens next month with early screenings of some new films. The tickets are open to the public. Am I allowed to comment on the films even if they have not yet been released in the US?

cheers Peter

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-15-2002 01:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why keep bumping this to the top? Can't this thread be made into an "Announcement" or "Sticky" so it always stays at the top? Not sure if UBB offers that or not.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That would require more hacking, something of which I don't have a spare day or two right now. Besides, as I stated on my 2nd post I have heard nothing, not some studio lawyer threatening my existence nor even a friendly email requesting I police "early reviews". Plus there are SO many places on the internet to get movie reviews early, until at which point a studio requests I enforce it, feel free to make your reviews as you see the film.

At this point the only thing I believe should be stipulated is that movie reviews should NOT be done on unfinished prints. (Title credits, excepted.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-15-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No! I think this should be followed religiously! In fact we should make an effort to call all theaters on the east cost so we can determine which is the first showing of every movie every week and exactly what time it lets out. If a review goes up even one minute before the credits begin rolling on that first movie then we should delete the thread, ban the member, call the studio and have them sue, giving us some of the loot if they win.

It's the only way to be fair!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-02-2002 12:53 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the top again?

Yeah...

A review of MIB2 was posted but it isn't out yet, so those that haven't seen it, take a look. That review is the perfect way to review a movie that isn't even out yet. Just point out things we have all seen in the trailer, a few basic elements that you liked or didn't like, such as dialogue, chemistry, etc.

What doesn't work in a review at all, is spoilers. That's not a review, that's a plot outline! Watch how some of the big wig reviewers that have national or the like coverage, and see how they do it. It is much the same way, just not revealing specifics or plot points, but instead covering items such as set design, sound, lighting, grading the storyline and plot, acting, direction, dialogue, chemsitry, etc.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: