Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Dunkirk (2017)

Author Topic: Dunkirk (2017)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-22-2017 05:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot believe that no one has posted this, but here is the information for the 5/70 version:

5 reels
2.20:1
DTS
handmade cues

Attached trailers (badly, with tape splices): Blade Runner, Justice League

|  IP: Logged

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2017 08:21 PM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any issues with the way the trailers were attached - no bubbles, good tape, no dust. Everything about the print delivery was better than expected. Good reels and cans, garbage bags around the reels (in case they fell in the ocean??? ... probably unnecessary but didn't hurt), and DTS was delivered on disks and USB. My only complaint is that there was not enough tail leader on any of the reels. We added about 50 feet to the end of each one for good measure.

Also, not that there's anything else, but our print is on 2383 manufactured in 2017 (nice to see because some "new" prints we get are on stock from 2014...)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-25-2017 01:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am playing 3 changeover prints and the leaders are unacceptably short on all of mine as well. The tails are on some prints were only 3-4 feet long!

You're welcome for the bags. That was something I had to pitch to WB since not all cans are clean and previous 70mm titles I played came in dirty as all hell due to the flaking cardboard liner in the shipping cans. Some of my reels on Dunkirk were bent pretty bad, but most were in good condition.

The attached trailer splice on all 3 of mine was made with crap tape and while it wasn't the worst splice I've seen, it wasn't very well made either. It was however cut in the correct spot, so that part made me happy. (Nothing is worse than amateurs who make cuts on the image and don't understand lead-in audio.)

The ultrasonic A/B joins were well made.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2017 07:53 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julian Antos
My only complaint is that there was not enough tail leader
Same with the plattered prints. I'm working far from home, but fortunately
I had brought several rolls of scrap 70 stuff with me for testing or to use for
tail-lead, because to me the tails are never long enough.

Haeyong Moon
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2017 01:37 AM      Profile for Haeyong Moon   Email Haeyong Moon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Dunkirk in 70mm at the Warner Bros. studio Steven J Ross Theater - in reels! What a sight that was. The prints looked gorgeous, and the sound was extra loud and vivid. If that projectionist is on this forum, bravo! I was watching your changeovers and all was frame exact!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2017 01:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Frame exact? Really?

Only way that happens is with specially designed automation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: