Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Noah (2014)

Author Topic: Noah (2014)
Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2014 12:13 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount Pictures
Deluxe Digital Cinema
1998 x 1080 (2K flat)
177 GB
Run Time: 2:17:44
Credits Start: 2:11:24 (unverified)
5.1/7.1 Audio

Trailer: "Transformers: Age of Extinction" #1

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 08:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you read that right...it's flat. So many movies that do not benefit from being in 'scope' proliferate now, yet this is flat.

And therein lies a big problem in this industry. Is this a pandering to modern installs whereby the largest format is 'flat' and 'scope' is letterboxed like a DVD?

I'm thinking yes...

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 01:03 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with Noah being flat, to be honest it is kind of refreshing as everything that comes out these days is scope.

quote: John Wilson
And therein lies a big problem in this industry. Is this a pandering to modern installs whereby the largest format is 'flat' and 'scope' is letterboxed like a DVD?

I think it is, but perhaps it had something to do with the IMAX release and to be honest I have no problem if all movies going forward are released in flat. There are three Cineplex movie theaters west of me that show all movies with the masking set to flat. Also, all new Cineplex theaters are set to a screen of 16x9 with no masking at all and renovated screens are simply installed with a fixed flat masking.

So if Cineplex won't give me scope masking then I might as well just watch it in flat as that way I get masking.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 11:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
I have no problem with Noah being flat, to be honest it is kind of refreshing as everything that comes out these days is scope.
Not true. It's more like 2 out of 3 (wide releases at least) are in scope.

But the idea USED to be that a movie was made in the format that made it look best. The wider scope picture should have been a no-brainer for this kind of movie.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno Mike, I think it is more like 9 out of 10 movies are in scope. The ratio has certainly increased in that last 10 years or 5 years.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the latest list from IME, of all the titles from 1/31 thru 6/13, there are 33 in scope and 13 in flat.

There are 11 that don't have the format listed yet. Even if all 11 of them wind up in scope that's still not nine out of ten.

There ARE definitely more scope movies these days though. I remember back in my earliest projectionist days, it was pretty much a crapshoot whether the next movie would be flat or scope.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 05:27 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scope may have been the obvious choice for this movie, but Aronofsky wanted to do it in Flat. I see no issues with shooting a big-budget action film in Flat.

Given the state of cinema were are in, with chains starting to not support masking for scope, I think Flat is valuable more than ever. Consider this, a 2K Flat image has more resolution than a 2K scope image.

I'll do the math

Scope: 2048 x 858 = 1,757,184 pixels
Flat: 1998 x 1080 = 2,157,840 pixels

I also have a list of big-budget or epic films released in the past five years in Flat. It's a work in progress.

http://letterboxd.com/rkivd/list/the-flat-film-society/detail/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2014 01:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Shawn M. Martin
Paramount Pictures
Deluxe Digital Cinema
1998 x 1080 (2K flat)
177 GB
Run Time: 2:17:44
Credits Start: 2:11:24 (unverified)
5.1/7.1 Audio

Noah also has a Dolby Atmos mix. It's a pretty good Atmos mix too (I watched the movie Saturday evening in OKC).

Magnus Almqvist
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 08:40 AM      Profile for Magnus Almqvist   Email Magnus Almqvist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Credits Start: 2:11:24 Verified by me!

Allan Riddelll
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2014 04:35 AM      Profile for Allan Riddelll   Email Allan Riddelll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John. Was so used to virtually all movies being in Scope lately that I spent the first few days showing Noah in scope and I usually check those things. I should have known as the trailer was not the normal matted 2.35. Needless to say not one customer complained.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2014 12:43 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, here in the UK, my cast is 9 seconds earlier - we must be missing a vital scene (or perhaps is those sneaky 50HZ on our mains!!

Also my drive only had the 5.1 OV on it, I seem to get very few through here with 7.1 on the drive; it appears to be mostly animated features that include 7.1. Is that the same in the U.S.?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: