Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Warner Brother Classic Cartoon Packs

Author Topic: Warner Brother Classic Cartoon Packs
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-24-2009 03:32 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Brothers changes their methods of issuing license to run their classic cartoons from time to time. At this time, they are issuing them in "packs" of six cartoons at a time. Those packs come on two reels with three cartoons on each reel. Note that at any time, WB could change their method, or discontinue licensing them all together, at which time this thread will become obsolete. But for now, if anyone handles any of the packs, please post your condition report here and note which pack you're referring to and what cartoons are on each pack.

NO CHIT CHAT! DO NOT DISCUSS THE CARTOONS HERE! Start another thread over in another forum, and I'll be happy to chat with you there. But KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN! THANK YOU!

All of these cartoons should be MONO sound.

Pack 14, Reel 1
Printed on Kodak 2383 Vision film stock, this entire reel is in excellent to near mint condition with beautiful eye-popping brilliant colors.
"Knights Must Fall" - Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1.
"Mouse Wreckers" - Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1.
"Bewitched Bunny" - Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1.

Pack 14, Reel 2
This reel has small black and yellowish-white spots that appear on and off throughout the entire reel on the right side of the image. These aren't terribly distracting, but noticeable. I highly doubt this is a printing error due to the obvious care that went into printing these, which means it was damaged post printing somehow. It's hardly a big deal, and otherwise this reel is also in excellent condition with great color. However there is another potential problem for theaters running this reel: The aspect ratio changes.
"Bunny Hugged" - Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1.
"Gone Batty" - Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1.
"Pests For Guests" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image inside the 1.85 frame.

So, for Pack 14, even though the cans said "1.85" on them, five of the cartoons are actually 1.66, and one of them is 1.85. Be aware if you book this pack. Obviously, framing is a little bit of a challenge if you're only option is to run them all in 1.85.

Pack 17, Reel 1
This reel is also in excellent to near mint condition with no problems noted at all in the picture or the sound. It looks amazing on the screen - like it was drawn, painted, and printed yesterday.
"Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image. Copyright 1997 tag at the end.
"My Bunny Lies Over The Sea" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image. Copyright 1998 tag at the end.
"Bugsy and Mugsy" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image.

Pack 17, Reel 2
Reel 2 in this pack has several VERY FAINT vertical black scratches that run across the image through the length of the reel. These, again, are VERY faint, and are only really noticeable during light scenes. I didn't have time to inspect the reel after the show to see which side they're all on for sure, but at least one of the scratches is on the emulsion side of the film as it develops into a green scratch for about five minutes in "Forward March Hare". Even with the scratches, this reel is still beautiful, and very watchable and enjoyable. Colors again are vivid and rich. Most people would not even notice the scratches, and those who did would probably discount them based on the age of the content. But this was obviously another beautiful reel at one point not long ago, and the damage was most likely (and unfortunately) done by a theater. A light application of Film Guard by any theater running this reel in the future would likely mask most of the black scratches, but the green one will unfortunately stay.
"Really Scent" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image.
"Forward March Hare" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image. Green scratch for about five minutes about 1/4 of the way into the image from the left side of the screen. Copyright 1997 tag at the end.
"Hare Lift" - Aspect Ratio: 1.85 with a 1.37 matted image.

The cartoons in these packs were all spliced together with a small amount of black slug spliced between them. The black slug has instructions about where to cut hand written on them with a silver marker. We left everything in place as it was and ran it that way. The splices had been done over and over again, but they were clean and we ran it that way with no problems. Most of these cartoons have change over cues printed on them already, but at least one of them did not. DO NOT CLINT PHARE THESE PRINTS! The "That's All Folks!" at the end of each cartoon is your 8 seconds.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-26-2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So none are 1.37 IBTech? What a freaking shame.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-26-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I have shown these, they would be a mix of "window box" and Academy on the same reel. You end up having to run the entire show in Academy, but the window-box shorts look really small. [Mad]

To whoever wrote "do not cut here" all over the fade-ins and fade-outs of the cartoons: I appreciate the thought, but did it never occur to you that the handwriting shows up on screen? Black film is not opaque! [Mad]

I don't know if WB has any IB prints of its cartoons in circulation. The ones that I have seen have been relatively recent (post-1990 or thereabouts) reprints.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-26-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, there are no print numbers or copy numbers, and only one copy of each "pack"?

--jhawk

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-27-2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the impression I got, although I did not talk to WB directly. Nor did I not notice any print numbers on the cans or on the reels other than "Pack 14, Reel 1" ... etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: