Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » AUSTRALIA (2008)

Author Topic: AUSTRALIA (2008)
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 01:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 reels
Scope
165 minutes total
Credits 7mins 42 secs
SR/SRD/DTS
Kodak 2383 stock

Nothing attached.

Note: Before the 20th Century Fox tag (on our region prints anyway) is the following warning...

'Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers should exercise caution when watching this film as it may contain images and voices of deceased persons'.

Make sure you don't cut it off!

For those who don't understand why this is important, seeing images of deceased persons in photographs, film and books, or hearing them in recordings, may cause sadness or distress and, in some cases, offend against strongly held cultural prohibitions.

[ 11-23-2008, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Fox Pubicity:

A SPECIAL MESSAGE from Baz Luhrmann...

Here's a message on behalf of the amazing creative genius, Baz Luhrmann, can you please forward to your projectionist?

"Dear Theatre Manager and Projectionist:

We hope you will enjoy my film AUSTRALIA. This film was shot in the wide screen format and in order to be properly viewed it must be shown in the full 2:40 scope format.

The correct framing for scope is critical in this film. In the last scene of the film, the Drover is on the left hand edge of the frame in three shots. Theatres should make sure that they are projecting the full width of the scope 2:40 image , and not cutting anything off on the sides.

We are asking you to adjust your masking according and to make sure that you check your framing with at the standard SMPTE RP 40 loop, with a side to side reading of 825.

The sound for the film is available on all three digital formats, Dolby Digital, DTS, and SDDS, with a Dolby SR analog back up. We hope that you will enjoy the film its digital sound format played the proper 7 setting on the Dolby reading which equals 85 db.

Sincerely,

BL"

In film cans from Baz with Bazmark Film II logo:

Dear Theatre and Projectionist,

I'm wondering if you could help me. I've noticed that when the film is being projected in the digital form we can lose the crucial character of 'The Drover' who is standing by the tree on the left hand edge of the frame in three shots in the final scene of the movie.

This film was shot in the wide screen format and in order to be properly viewed it must be shown in the 2:40 scope format.

The correct framing for scope is critical on this film and theatres should make sure that they are projecting the full width of the scope 2:40 image, and not cutting anything off on the sides.

I would really appreciate it if you could adjust your masking accordingly and to make sure that you check your framing at the standard SMPTE RP 40 loop, with a side to side reading of 825.

The sound for the film is available on all three digital formats, Dolby Digital, DTS, and SDDS, with a Dolby SR analog back up and hope that youwill enjoy the film its digital sound format played the proper 7 setting on the Dolby reading which equals 85 db.

I really appreciate this effort as it means so much that the audience gets the full benefit of the staging, projection and sound.

I also hope that you get some value from the experience of this film.

Best wishes,

Baz Luhrmann

[ 11-21-2008, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 03:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Baz Luhrmann
The sound for the film is available on all three digital formats, Dolby Digital, DTS, and SDDS
No SDDS on our prints.

[ 11-20-2008, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He is talking about prints released in real countries, like the US.

Also, I cannot widen my screen and I am sure something will be at least partially cut off. There is nothing I can do. It is more of a screen/lens/construction issue, so Baz will have to be sad. Also, I cannot turn the volume up above 3.5 on my CP65 since the levels are set incorrectly. The PNG I have asked to borrow has not yet arrived in my mailbox. So Baz gets 3.5. Also, SDDS cannot be turned up to 7. It can be turned to 0.0, which should be 85db.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 07:05 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Baz Luhrmann
We hope that you will enjoy the film its digital sound format played the proper 7 setting on the Dolby reading which equals 85 db.
That sentence makes zero sense anyway.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 07:25 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It came from the "amazing creative genius, Baz Luhrmann".

That letter was sent from Fox Publicity today. [beer]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-20-2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see
quote: Bill Gabel
the full width of the scope 2:40 image
filling my 400-foot wide screen!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
US print info:

Australia (2008)
20th. Century-Fox
Scope 2.40
SRD / SDDS / DTS / SR (Cyan)
10 Reels
Deluxe

TRT: 165 minutes (end credits around 7 minutes 41 seconds)

DFS

On Head: Marley & Me

See Note from Baz above.
also No warning tag as in John's post above.

Loose in some cans:
"Gran Torino"
"Bride Wars"
"Frost/Nixon"
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
"The International"

[ 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-23-2008 03:33 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very short time at the end of last vision where the music continues...probably about 5 to 8 seconds as it fades out. For those without the censorship band on the end of the print (like us) make sure you cue to let this play out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-23-2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"last vision" = credits???

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2008 10:33 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer

I'm not sure. You know the old saying about how "England and The USA are two countries seperated by a common language"
Same thing goes for Australia, I guess. [Big Grin]

I suppose "last vision" could also possibly equate to what we used to call "LFOA" (last frame of action) in the editing biz.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-23-2008 11:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Hmmm...OK, that must be old lingo from my days in television crossing over.

What I mean is that final frame you want projected just before the dowser or shutter closes at the end of the credits. If you cue to that...you will cut off the fade out of the music.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-24-2008 07:11 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Removed when realized it was Chit Chat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: