Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Paranoid Park

Author Topic: Paranoid Park
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paranoid Park

• Reels: 4
  • Aspect ratio: 1:1.37*
  • Sound format: SRD
  • Running time: 1:24
*there was no note in my can, nor is there anything written on the leaders in the "aspect ratio" space. during inspection, i stopped and looked several times, and saw what looked to me like 1:1.85 compositions. i test-screened the print in 1:1.85 and it looked well-composed for the most part, with the cropped characters being stylistically justified. sources vary on the internet. imdb says 1:1.85, but this site seems to indicate that van sant considers 1:1.37 to be the proper ratio:
quote:
Van Sant mentioned that—because the Letterman Digital Center is one of the few places equipped to do so—Paranoid Park was going to be projected in its original aspect ratio, 1.37—"so it’s a big square.” He explained that he’s been shooting his last few movies in this format, partly because they were commissioned as HBO television projects, allowing for the square format. Likewise, when he was a film student in school, he used to shoot in 16mm so he’s continued to do so. Though 1.37 is Paranoid Park‘s original aspect/ratio, it’s sometimes shown in different formats due to the limitations of in-house projection systems. When it comes out in theaters it will most likely be shown in 1.66 or 1.85. The rare opportunity to screen in the Letterman Digital Center allows the film to be projected as it was meant to be seen.
a little wishy-washy i know. i've now seen the film both ways and it works, differently, both ways. it's more intimate in 1:1.85.
oh, and, despite its name, the letterman digital center can show film too.

[ 03-14-2008, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Carl Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: