Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Information TO post and information NOT to post (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Information TO post and information NOT to post
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, help us out here.

Ideal things to post:
*Number of reels
*Distributor (on the print cans)
*Depot the print came from (also on the print cans)
*Sound formats (list them all even if you do not have the capability to play them)
*Flat/scope/other picture aspect ratio (please be specific if not "flat" 1.85 or "scope" 2.39)
*Film stock (if you know)
*Lab film was printed at (if you know)
*Attached and loose trailers (generally not applicable for screenings)
*Feature running time (if you know)
*Please put the year beside the film title in the subject line (example "Titanic-1997")
*Quirky things like a short reel or a fade out.
*If the movie title can be mispelled, please put variables in the body of your post so it will turn up in a search.

Please do NOT post anything that is specific to your print. In other words...
*If the leaders were cut
*How many ID frames there were
*A scratch you saw
*A specific broken reel
*A bad can latch
*If the print had reel bands
*Your print number
*Head or tail orientation
*The style of MPAA rating band
*Whether you got dts discs or not
*If you had to wait for a security guy to unlock the padlocks
*The kind of changeover cues the print had
*If the print had vinegar syndrome or not (this is an especially big waste of time on a brand new print on polyester base [Roll Eyes] )
*Etc, etc, etc.

These kind of things assists absolutely no one and just clutters up your post. The only exception to this rule is if you are posting info on an older repertory print. In that instance, the additional info is acceptable...but ONLY if you post the print number. Please do not post these sort of things for new releases.

Your cooperation is appreciated. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it should be policy not to disseminate decoy titles. I don't know how much security is gained with them but I'd be willing to give the studios the benefit of the doubt on this and not post them for all the world to see.

The exception would be after a film has concluded its theatrical run for those films where the decoy title was actually printed on the film leaders. So if 6 months later someone wants to go back and explain that movie "X" prints actually have leaders that say "Y" that might be helpful for those booking the film for rep / revival / midnight shows etc. who might otherwise get a shock when opening the by-then correctly labeled cans only to see "Y" staring them in the face.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Steve for any movie distributed by Technicolor (TES / orange cans). Any movie distributed by ETS, there really is no reason NOT to post the fake title here, because in their infinite wisdom they place BOTH labels within inches of each other on the shipping cases.

Orange can fake titles = keep it quiet
Any other kind of shipping container = blast it as loud as you want

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re ETS. Yes I agree and I'm going to ask my studio contacts about that since they may not be aware. But last time I had one like that I wasn't sure if maybe it had been publically sneaked so perhaps the guard goes down a notch after that. FWIW I have a Sony picture here now with ETS labels, primary and local, and both have the fake title.

Dave Callaghan
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 05:11 AM      Profile for Dave Callaghan   Email Dave Callaghan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Attached and loose trailers (generally not applicable for screenings)

The post for Alien vs. Predator lists 1 attached and 12 enclosed trailers.

My print had Taxi printed on the head of reel 1 and Paparazzi enclosed, both of which are future Fox releases, with a Fox feature. No other trailers enclosed.

I can see the sense of posting these 2 trailers on this forum.

However, the other 11 trailers are from, among others, Buena Vista, Sony, Warner, Universal, New Line, DreamWorks, Paramount, ...

If this is standard practice for first run in US theaters, I can understand why the audience is waiting at home for the DVD or downloading over the internet instead of sitting through half an hour of coming attractions.

Looking at this list, I'm left guessing what I can expect with my first run print when I see titles without the names of the associated distributors. For AVP, which trailers in that list are from Fox?

Furthermore, my experience with second run prints is they usually arrive with no trailers whatever. Trailer information in this forum is unfortunately of no value even a few weeks after the opening weekend.

It might be more generally useful to specify the trailers from the feature's distributor, since it would be likely that everyone would receive them on first run.

Whoever posts could list the other trailers enclosed with an advisory on the venue or type of screening - e.g. AMC first run, sneak, invitational, trade, etc.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-2004 05:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I posted this somewhere, but effective the first day of a movie's release, listing the trailers that came in the cans or attached is A WASTE OF TIME! After the opening day, please don't bother making a post regarding trailers because it no longer matters to any further theaters that will receive the prints from that point on.

Brent Allen Sadler
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2005 12:45 AM      Profile for Brent Allen Sadler   Email Brent Allen Sadler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would also be very helpful to know the type of sound track (Silver or Cyan) the film was printed with. I'm sure some other people have my problem. Not all my screens have the new Cyan Dye readers in them (I run a second run house). So by the time I get my Thursday night delivery, I am having to make changes to the specified auditoriums so I can accommodate the new readers. This info would be really helpful to people like me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be nice if people would post whether or not the film ends with the rolling of the credits, or if there is additional material (outtakes, etc) during or after the credits. This would help with placing of lights-up cues. Not everyone gets a chance to pre-screen the films, so it'd be nice to know if there are "easter eggs" to watch for.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-15-2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike has a great suggestion here. Anyone building prints, please try and add this information. [Smile]

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-16-2006 02:30 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 456 days since the last post.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-16-2006 02:30 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder:

quote: Brad Miller
effective the first day of a movie's release, listing the trailers that came in the cans or attached is A WASTE OF TIME! After the opening day, please don't bother making a post regarding trailers because it no longer matters

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2006 12:44 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to politely disagree on this point. For example, there are many here that get prints after the original opening date and knowing what trailers were originally put in the cans is helpful in programming for my run of the feature. Obviously, if the trailer is for something that's already opened we don't program it - however this list does give me a starting point as to what the studios have suggested for trailer placement.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-23-2009 05:52 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 912 days since the last post.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 05:52 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You must have personally handled the print being discussed to post in this forum.
This little tidbit seems to have been forgotten recently.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 08:10 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my posting run times - even though I haven't handled the print - goes against this, please say so. From my point of view, this is one of the most important pieces of information you need to know BEFORE you get your hands on the print and unfortunately the studios don't always do a good job of getting the info out ahead of time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: