Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Superman Returns (2006)

Author Topic: Superman Returns (2006)
Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 01:10 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Brothers
Superman Returns
Scope
9 Reels
SR/SR.D/SDDS/DTS magenta
ETS
Attached:
Lady in the Water
Loose:
Spiderman 3
Monster House

Reel 2 is short, less than half.
Two fades: end Reel 4, begining 5. I believe, it was late.

Shot with Genesis Video HD camera.

Available in Digital

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2006 01:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Kirkhart

Shot with Genesis Video HD camera.

So that's why the trailer looks like mush!

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 10:17 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh - when is your theatre's very first showing of Superman and when did you get your prints in? I am hoping ours will come tomorrow (we have a tues. nt. show) but my gut tells me Monday.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 10:16 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater got a notice from Warner Bros. that in most regions they will not be distributing the movie until Monday. This may mean that some theaters might get it Tuesday! [Eek!]

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print information comes from a press screening we did Friday morning. First showtimes are not till Tuesday at 10pm.

Not 5 minutes after the screening, we received the hard drives for Superman. I had been hounded by a few in the press to get it in Digital for the screening and Access never came through.

*Digital Houses:
The Transfer distributed thus far is flawed. The last 10 minutes of the feature is totally out of color balance (Luthors head is two shades of green). Assured us they are 'working' on the problem and would have new hard drives out in a couple days, but we are to play as received for now, Rockin'. This is a Warner Brothers hiccup as far as they are concerned. Who knows where the buck is being passed.

The 35mm print is superior IMHO, as the blacks are not overwhelming as on the Digital Presentation. The HD Video shot films have looked very good on film. ie: Click, (Most of)Scary Movie 4, and Superman.

Dave Callaghan
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Dave Callaghan   Email Dave Callaghan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A complete fade at the tail of reel 8.

Splice can be determined from the motor start cue.

Frame count - not uncommon with Warner - is 12 feet 4 frames from the first frame after the 4th frame of motor start.

No fade in on the head of reel 9.

Cyan track. (A sticker on the leader of the first reel in several languages points out the usual LED issues.)

Loose trailer: The Ant Bully

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2006 03:22 AM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dave is correct as there is a fade-out in the end of Reel 8. No fade-in on Reel 9 as well. I just matched the tail of Reel 7 with the tail of Reel 8 and cut in the exact same spot and all was good. I did this when I built Omen as well (i believe there were 2-3 fades on Omen) and everything was in frame. Reel 2 is very short btw, I'd say 1/3 full. Happy building!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-27-2006 03:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On that complete fade on Reel 8: You go past the second set of cuemarks and down another 14 inches, you can barely see where the tail lead was spliced onto the feature during the lab printing...

But, unfortunately, where I cut the one frame above that tail lead splice to for the reference frame, there is a sound blip a couple to four frames ahead of this cut that comes out on the SRD playback...

One might have to cut a good six frames ahead of that lead splice so that blip doesn't come through on the SRD playback..don't know if this blip comes out on the DTS, or optical playback - since this house was SRD only...for digital.

Fadeout-fadein splicing is quite easy...if you can develop the good eyes to where the lead spices are done in the labs...(makes the presentation look so much cleaner...if this form of splicing is used correctly..)

Yea..Reel 2 be only about 8 min long. And noticed that WARNER finally switched over to cyan..and the shipping reels were the grey version of what TECH uses...

thx-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-27-2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theatres are reporting color problems in reel 8. Keep an eye out. (I'm soooo glad they gave us enough time to screen it) [Roll Eyes]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2006 01:46 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX 15/70 and Digital Cinema versions available

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: