Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Any "Sing-along" title (request)

Author Topic: Any "Sing-along" title (request)
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recentlly there have been a rash of musicals-turned-into-bouncing-ball-sing-alongs (actually there's no bouncing ball, I am told). THE SOUND OF MUSIC, WIZARD OF OZ and MARY POPPINS. Supposedly these had prints struck with the English subtitles.

Although I have heard of them, I have never found a distributor claiming to carry them. I was told that at least in the case of TSOM, Fox gave it to a separate company to deal with it. We are not interested in this particular title since we played it last summer as a straight movie, but any others would work.

Has anyone ever run any of these titles or knows who distributes any of them them? We want to do one for our outdoor venue next summer; I need a contact.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 03:29 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
singalong oz

we showed the sound of music singalong. the image on this one looks like poo. probably the others do as well. if they would only strike a regular print and laser-title it instead of sourcing it from a digital intermediate (or dvd transfer?) it would be a whole lot better.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Singalong Oz link is outdated - I looked into it earlier this year and didn't get anywhere.

Mary Poppins, I'm told, is out of circulation due to the singalong issue.

The folks that handle the Singalong Sound Of Music handle pretty much everything for one base fee + percentage, including royalties to the composer. Although they also provide trinket bags, I'm told the trinkets are "lame".

I figured the dispute that arose with Mary Poppins has something to do with the fact that SOM are paying royalties to the composer - possibly due to words being projected onscreen?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-11-2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the sing-along 'Oz' a couple years ago.

The print is 1.37:1 Eastman with matted-in (not laser) subtitles, and all four digital sound formats (but no DTS discs).

-Aaron

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worldwide site

A group I am involved with inquired about the cost of doing a non-theatrical showing and found the cost was many times that of a standard non-theatrical showing.

If you do manage a subtitled showing (through other means) I have heard that they are protective of their 'sing-a-long-a' trademark.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: