Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Yellow Submarine (request) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Yellow Submarine (request)
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 11:45 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Current distributer anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2005 05:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yellow Submarine"

flat-full frame (1.37/1)
5 reels
Prints by DeLuxe
90 minutes
mono sound

Originally released in the US by United Artists in 1969

Now available on DVD by MGM video.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are re-issue prints from about 1999 (I believe) that are Dolby Digital and DTS. Can't remember who the distributor was.

John Hazelton
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for John Hazelton   Author's Homepage   Email John Hazelton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow Submarine was distributed by United Artists, who distributed all of the Beatles films. It was not framed to be shown 1.37, but rather 1.66. It plays okay at 1.85, though.

The 1999 re-issue had a remixed 5.1 audio track, but only in DTS. No other digital format was used for this re-issue. The analog track was Dolby A compatible.

Original US running time was 85 minutes, but the reissue added about 5 minutes of footage that was cut after the premiere.

I believe UA is still the distributor.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two clips below from the original '69 release...

-

-

..I ran "YS" in 1970 and these clips above are from that print..and this is where I drew my conclusion of the 1.37/1 frame topic.

Original clips have gone to red, I retouched these scenes by adding in the cyan and reducing magenta and adding a touch of green...

If a discussion is needed to continue talking about this release, let's head on over to the "Afterlife" forum and create one here about this, for this can be an interesting subject to talk about. (THX)

-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-02-2005 03:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good color correction on 35 year old prints made before Kodak introduced "low fade" dyes in color print film in the early 1980's.

John Hazelton
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 09:25 PM      Profile for John Hazelton   Author's Homepage   Email John Hazelton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, Monte. I've continued the topic on the Afterlife Forum under the subject "Yellow Submarine Aspect Ratio."

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Story So Far...

Prior to Sony's ownership of the MGM library I was told by MGM that they no longer have rights to Yellow Submarine. So I did a bit of research without any luck. Recently I made another call, this time to Sony, asking if they knew who had the rights to this. I'm told they share rights with another party who aren't too keen on this film ever seeing the light of day again.

Funny, I've found two theatres via google who have shown Yellow Submarine this past year - neither of which will tell me who they got the rights from to show the "film" - er, I should say movie as I doubt it was film they were showing.

I made it clear we'd pull in a good amount of money showing Y.S. here and I hope that will light a fire under the butts of the folks who share the rights.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-22-2008 08:31 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 775 days since the last post.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 08:31 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone played this in the last year or so? or Hard Days night for that matter.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-08-2008 11:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have we figured out the correct aspect ratio for this yet? I ran one reel and it looks fine at Academy. IMDB says that it's 1.66. And a projectionist whom I trust who has run this for many midnight shows insists that it is 1.85. Who is right?

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 07:14 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the distributor for Yellow Sub anyway?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-09-2008 08:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea. It's a private screening.

edit: it looks good at 1.85 and all titles are safe for 1.85

[ 05-10-2008, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2008 06:21 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ever rely on IMDb for projection information such as aspect ratios. It is incredibly incorrect.

John Hazelton
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 11:05 PM      Profile for John Hazelton   Author's Homepage   Email John Hazelton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jack that IMDb is not a reliable source for technical information about movies.

Still, I stand by my contention that the intended aspect ratio for "Yellow Submarine" is 1.66. When it was re-released in 1999, some of the cans carried a label from the distributor that stated "Original Ratio: 1.66, Recommended Ratio: 1.85"

I think the 1.85 note was the distributor's recognition that no current multiplex would be equipped to run 1.66. I trust the information on that label, because it fits what looks best during projection.

If you watch the movie 1.37, there's way too much head room in most scenes, and the composition feels off. It's definitely correct at 1.66. At 1.85, it's tight, but plays okay.

You can see from Monte's frames that the top image is framed for wide screen, and the bottom one looks okay wide screen as well. Just because there's image in the entire frame doesn't mean it was meant to be projected, even in an animated work. I've seen plenty of cartoons that were unquestionably wide screen, but had a full-frame image.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: