Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » life of brian (1979)

Author Topic: life of brian (1979)
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 07:48 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
monty python's life of brian (1979, re-released 2004)
from rainbow releasing

• reels: 5
  • duration: 1:33
  • format: flat 1:1.85
  • sound: sr only [edit: leader says sr, discussion below suggests dolby a]
  • rating: none on print
new prints have defects from the negative: some sprocket scratching in the image area, some other scratching. possibly some splices in the neg as well, although since the editing of the film has some minor jump cuts anyways, it's hard to say. i did notice the soundtrack slightly out of sync by the end of reel 2 (later reels fine) so that might be the reason. the track was a bit noisy, especially as i had to crank it up. no studio logo; first image is the night sky over bethlehem.

[ 06-10-2004, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Carl Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to break the rules here, but as the film was originally released in 1979, wouldn't the soundtrack be Dolby A? Not SR?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-21-2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original track was mono.

The new trailers for this have some sort of godawful fake-stereo SR track, so I assume that they re-mixed the film's track for the reissue. I haven't seen the reissue yet, so I don't know.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2004 05:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the leaders said sr.

carl

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 10:44 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original release from Warner Bros. was a dual inventory of prints. Dolby A Stereo prints and Mono prints. It played the Los Angeles market at the Mann's Village and later the Mann's Bruin in Westwood, California in Dolby Stereo.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both L.A. engagements began in Dolby Stereo on August 17, 1979 at the Bruin Theatre in Westwood and the Chinese Twin in Hollywood, as well as two mono engagements in Orange County. If the Village ever showed it to the general public, it was after the Bruin's run.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Village screening was a special Warner pre-release screening. I have pictures of the marquee and front of the theatre AdArt display.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I must have mis-interpreted what you meant. I was only referring to the first open public run of the film, which was at the Bruin and Chinese Twin. I'm not in a position to confirm any private previews or premieres. (I did confirm through microfilm today, however of the Bruin/Chinese Twin debuting the film to the L.A. public).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-06-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print I screened recently was Dolby A.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 03:10 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
steve, was this new rerelease print? what sound format was on the leaders?

during an empty show the other day, i spent a few minutes switching back and forth between a and sr. my impression was that the music sounded a little better in sr, the dialogue about as mediocre in either format. i didn't have time to be very thorough about it though. anyways, i don't have a sense of what playing an a track in sr sounds like or vice versa.

our tech tried to ask around about this to no avail.

carl

[ 06-10-2004, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Carl Martin ]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall what the leaders said but it was labeled elsewhere as "A" (and left with more labels courtesy of yours truly [Cool] ) and this was also what I was told by Rainbow. It was not brand new but recently made (printer exposed the SR•D area). There are new prints but I believe all are off the same sound negative. Any questions just call Sharon at Rainbow Releasing.
Hang up if Henry answers. [Razz] j/k

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memories, memories:

I'm quite sure, our first-run prints in Denmark were marked "Dolby A without surround".
Today, I've received the only existing danish print p.t., which must, as far as I know, be about 3-4 years old. I haven't unpacked the film yet, but it is marked "mono".

p.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-08-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed this tonight and switched between A and SR a couple of times during the first reel. It sounds bad in both formats--it's just a terrible mix (a marked contrast to the reissue prints of "Holy Grail," which sound great in SR on the same system).

I thought it sounded better (less bad) in A and that is how I ran it. The leaders on this print do indeed say SR.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2005 04:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I opened up WB's "Life of Brian" in August, of '79, at our single screen Mann theatre. Our print was the mono track release. Held that print for a 5 week run.

-Monte

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 02:35 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICS depot, print #5. 2004 release print.

TRASHED! Someone cut this print into 30 or so sections, and wound them randomly onto the reels. The heads and tails were found in the middle of most reels. One reel had sections from r-1,2, and 4 on it. [puke]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: