Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Vertigo (1958) (1996 restoration) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vertigo (1958) (1996 restoration)
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Title: .......VERTIGO (1996 Harris Restoration)
Distrib: .....Paramount
35mm Print #: 03
Reels: .......7
Emulsion: ....Eastman LPP
Base: ........Polyester
Print Incept
Date: ........n/a (no EK edge code, no edge date stamp)
Release #: ...n/a

Special: .....Marked "ARCHIVE PRINT - DO NOT SPLICE"

Picture format:
Spherical 1.85:1 (Hard Matted)

Sound format:
Analog: SR
Digital: DTS / NO disks as of 1 Aug 03

Cues: Lab

Physical Condition: Mint
Scratches:
Base - None
Emulsion - None

Color Fade/Shift: None

Acidosis (VS): None

Overall Condition: AA
(WB rating)

MPAA Rating Band: None
Attached Trailers: None

[ 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2003 12:30 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1996 restoration went out through Universal. R1 starts with the then-current Universal logo and theme, followed by the opening music over "A Paramount Release in VistaVision".

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-18-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Print #3 is no longer quite so good. We ran it on Saturday.

Despite the marking "do not splice," leaders had been spliced.

I didn't take reel-by-reel notes (I was trying to watch for enjoyment, not QC), but there were persistent thin black vertical lines throughout the print. As base-side scratches go, they were pretty mild, and they came and went at times. There was also a significant accumulation of dirt on some reels.

The print is definitely no longer Mint/Excellent, and I'd rank it Fair instead of ranking it Good.

Oh, this print apparently lives at George Eastman House.

The beginnings of some reels have a funky fylfot-like marking in the upper-right corner of the image (near where the cue dots are), a few seconds in to the reel. Go figure.

--jhawk

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jhawk, you seem to be making all sorts of weird assumptions lately.

quote:
Oh, this print apparently lives at George Eastman House.
No, it came from Eastman House because they were the last theater to play it, in early November. They have a regular screening series. It lives circuited, and will probably wind up in Universal City when there's a big enough gap between bookings. Put it this way -- if you got a print from the Academy theater, would you assume it came from Academy archives?

On another note:

quote:
The beginnings of some reels have a funky fylfot-like marking in the upper-right corner of the image (near where the cue dots are), a few seconds in to the reel. Go figure.
These would be the VistaVision framing marks. If they were scratched into the o-neg, that'd be why they survived the 70mm restoration.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-19-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1674 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-19-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Print #3 remains in pretty much the same condition as described above, although I did not see any vertical lines. Perhaps the print has been replaced? Anyway, it still doesn't have DTS disks, but the print itself is fine. There are no splices in it, though about 10-15 frames are missing from each head and tail (despite the "do not cut leaders" stickers).

As repertory prints go, this one is pretty good. I saw another print (not sure on print number) in another venue recently that looked much grainier than this one.

Subject header really should say "Vertigo (1958) (1996 restoration)"

System Notices

- posted 04-18-2013 08:06 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1763 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-18-2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Print #6 (supposedly the best current print) is a 2007 re-print of the restored version from Foto-Kem. It is in good, used condition, is missing DTS disks, and generally looks and sounds good.

System Notices

- posted 05-28-2014 01:01 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 404 days since the last post.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-28-2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm print #4 ran by me this weekend (distributor = Universal).

This one is now in quite rough shape, with vertical base scratches that come and go at some point during all the reels (though most of them are pretty thin and not that noticeable unless you're looking for them). It's very dirty for 10-20 feet at the starts and ends and has been "made up" numerous times. ID frames have been cut out, too.

The DTS media we got was a set of two CDs of a 5.1 mix - factory-pressed ones, which played "live" from a 6D. We did have a brief DTS sound dropout on the changeover from 4 to 5, but suspect that this was an issue with our installation rather than the print or discs.

As with the 35mm prints of the Harris restoration, this is hard matted to 1.85. If you don't have a 70mm 1.85 aperture plate, you are likely to see some visible sparkle and white flashes projected on the masking. I tested one reel with a 2.2:1 plate, and crud on the matted part of the frame was visible.

System Notices

- posted 09-17-2016 02:35 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 843 days since the last post.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-17-2016 02:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm Print #6 from Universal is still in decent shape.
Leaders are marked "1998 Version"

Lots of emulsion abrasions at heads/tails, but the interior of each reel is okay.

Leaders/Changeovers:

Academy leaders on all reels have been cut (for plattering/building) but each one has a reference frame, and the leaders themselves are intact. In other words, they are usable for changeovers, without needing "tape numbers."

Flash frames on Reel-1 leader just before the Universal logo, so watch out for that.

Some silly person decided they needed to scribe cues in addition to the original cues. Stupidity!

Print has been previously "built" but, amazingly, all 24 frames after the changeover cues are there. Except for Reel-1 (it has 23 frames).

Watch your timing! Several of the changeovers occur in the middle of a music cue. Confirmed examples: Reel-1 to Reel-2, R-2 to R-3, R-4 to R-5, R-5 to R-6... Maybe all of them..?

Aspect Ratio: Image is tightly hard-matted to 1.85! I actually wonder if this should perhaps be 1.66. (It was VistaVision, after all, so that was certainly a valid option.)

Sound:

DTS timecode, but no discs with this print.

Print containers are marked "Mono" but the soundtrack itself is labeled "SR" and the music certainly seems to be in stereo.

As always, I recommend using dialogue for setting levels, but especially in this case. If you adjust playback levels in reaction to music (or the opening scene) the dialogue will end up way too low. Played at 7.0 volume setting here.

System Notices

- posted 09-25-2017 08:19 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 372 days since the last post.

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2017 08:19 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per aspect ratio, Vertigo cannot run at 1.66.

Like many VVLA productions, area reserved for track at top of frame, has an equal area at bottom, via which null area, ie. floor of stage, is exposed.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-29-2017 09:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I misspoke (er.. typed)

What I meant to say was if we used the 1.66 aperture plate (with the 1.85 lens) then we could enjoy the hard-matte top/bottom edges, and actually project all of the 1.85 area, whereas using the 1.85 plate would require the use of masking to clean up the soft edges of the plate shadow, cropping the projected image to something slightly wider than 1.85.

With this approach, one still presents a 1.85 image, but masking is only used to cover unused screen area, and has no cropping function.

This was an afterthought. I didn't actually try it out, so I can't say that it's definitely the way to go.

BTW, all of this is "chit chat" and doesn't belong in this thread. Beyond this, we're going to need a dedicated thread in the Film Handler's Forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: