Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Station Agent

Author Topic: Station Agent
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-23-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax
Flat 1.85
SRD / SR
5 Reels

Tes

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-03-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running this as specified in 1.85 and have always been troubled by the awful headroom. I just looked at a reel @ 1.66 : 1 and I must say it looks better.

---
Alas the last couple minutes of R4 are hard masked to 1.85. Pity because otherwise it looks a lot better at 1.66 : 1.

[ 10-06-2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Steve Kraus ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-06-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Framelines are grey, not black.

This came with a letter from the distributor (Miramax) stating that the framing is tight and that it should be framed to give the maximum amount of headroom.

shot on super-16, digitally blown up to 35mm

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard SMPTE 201M-2001 specifies a Super 16 camera aperture image area of 12.35 x 7.42 millimeters. Annex B of the standard specifies "Equivalent projection areas of type W 16-mm camera image" as 11.80 x 7.10 millimeters (1.66:1) or 11.80 x 6.38 millimeters (1.85:1). So either aspect ratio may have been used.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-17-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
loose in can "The Barbarian Invasion"
attached "Cold Mountain"

Josh

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-19-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This came with a letter from the distributor (Miramax) stating that the framing is tight and that it should be framed to give the maximum amount of headroom.

Yep. But doing as requested will have you framing up into 1.66 land and then you'll hit those hard masked areas and have black on screen.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running it in 1.85 framed down and it looks decent.

I checked it against 35-PA and found that the 0.480" mark was ever so slightly below the top of the frame (by about the thickness of that mark). Any lower and the gray matte would start to appear (R-5 particularly).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-07-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're just out of the gray and didn't notice any lower height shots with black masking in R4?

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 02:17 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct, Steve. I did pay attention to R-4 per your warning but all seemed fine... unless a bit of black hard matte was there and I confused it with the masking. But nothing extending clear (excuse the pun) down to 0.446" certainly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: