Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Solaris (2002 version)

Author Topic: Solaris (2002 version)
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-22-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Solaris" (2002)
Fox
6 reels
Scope (from anamorphic negative) / SDDS-8, SR-D, DTS, SR
ETS
98 min (per the can letter)
Trailer (printed on): "Antwone Fisher"
Trailer (loose): none with this print
Cues: Small black halo dots properly located at the side, not 20% into the picture like some Scope releases.

The can letter (is there a name for these?) indicates the following preference order for sound: SDDS-8, DTS or SR-D, SDDS-6, followed by analog. If running analog they ask that you turn off optical bass extension. On systems with Center + Surround channels only, they ask that you turn off the surround amps.

They also mention starting a thread about tech issues in rec.arts.movies.tech.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-22-2002 06:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Kraus wrote: "They also mention starting a thread about tech issues in rec.arts.movies.tech. "

I think we all know a better place for that thread! [Smile]

I rarely get on rec.arts.movies.tech anymore because of the poor s/n ratio, and sometimes devisive discussion.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started my own thread over there and in it I suggested he (Larry Blake) also check out Film-Tech. r.a.m.t. has a decent s/n ration IMHO. Guess it depends on what you call noise. Spam level is low. There is plenty of rehashing old format questions which is fine by me but may bore others. For booth concerns F-T is clearly better.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry Blake responded in <20021202065546.05397.00008503@mb-fw.aol.com>, basically saying that 5.1 mix for Solaris uses a non-standard fold-down from the 7.1 SDDS-8. That non-standard apportioning is done on the master for DTS and SR-D, so of course it comes out right, but for SDDS-5, the processor does the standard apportioning from the SDDS-8, and it comes out differently.

I noted the preference for DTS and Dolby Digital with regard to three-screen-speaker presentation because those formats were printmastered with the chosen spread for this film, i.e., left- and right-center tracks were apportioned 50/50 to their respective sides and the center. This was the ratio chosen by me for my sound effects and by Alan Meyerson, who recorded and mixed the music. SDDS would have put the Lc and Rc tracks 75/25 to their respective sides.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: