Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » The Rules of Attraction (2002)

Author Topic: The Rules of Attraction (2002)
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rules of Attraction

Lions Gate Films
6 reels
Flat 1.85:1
Dolby SR
Kodak 2383
TES

Note: Reel 6 soundtrack continues throughout foot leader.

|  IP: Logged

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffrey, I don't think it's the release print you ran as the credits are incomplete. Look closely and you'll see things like "song list goes here" or "gaffer tba". I've run 3 versions of this now with one to go next week and the credit sequence gets longer every time.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2002 02:31 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to add that the release print's credit sequence is complete and the sound no longer 'tails out'. FYI the credit sequence in this film runs in reverse but the blue "R" band is still at the end.
No attached trailers on this release either (print #33) but reel 2 had a lab problem with the picture 'bouncing' the first 30 seconds and the last 30 seconds of the reel.
I would just like to add that although I thoroughly detest this film, it has some of the best changeover moments. (Reel 1 - changeover on the final beat of a song by The Cure, Reel 2 - Door slam, etc.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-02-2002 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I wonder how long those changeovers will be able to be effective, as especially in the art house circuit people in general don't seem to care and will chop off those frames like crazy.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 02:42 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attached:
House of 1000 Corpses

Head leaders say SR
Two sound logos during the credits
One says Dolby in select theatres
The other says MONO SR
Question about that in a new thread will be posted soon.

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 02:53 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I guess that's why I've heard so much for NOT leaving ID frames which is important in cases like this. I just ran through my copy without cutting ID frames and it sounds beautiful! I just hope the next guys who get our print won't decide to snip the frame.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 09:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no justification for making another cut. If they do it'll be because they are too lazy to peel your splice and someone like that would make a new cut even if there was already an ID frame there; they would make yet another cut one frame farther in. The reason I say there is no justification is that even though I advocate leaving an ID frame (except in rare situations) that's something that would have to be done on the first build. Once the cut has been made between black and the first or last frame the absolute proof offered by an ID frame is gone. Leaving a frame with the leader serves no purpose if that frame is connected via a splice instead of contiguous. This is not a argument pro or con on ID frames but simply pointing out that whatever advantages they do or do not bring, it must be done on first build to have any worth.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please no chit chat. You may dredge up an old thread on this if you like, or start a new one, but please not in this forum.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that the end credits runs 'backwards' and there are a lot of other backwards sequences in the film.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-07-2003 02:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Mathew said. Running this with manual changeovers provides more entertainment value that the film itself does. And, yes, I got all of them perfect (not frame accurate, but pretty darn close).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: