Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » The Black Stallion (1979)

Author Topic: The Black Stallion (1979)
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 02:52 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Black Stallion

United Artists
6 reels
Flat 1.85:1
Mono
TES print #7

Note: this feature had dual inventory prints, Dolby A and mono soundtracks.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Note: this feature had dual inventory prints, Dolby A and mono soundtracks.

Possibly a triple inventory as there have been some reports of 70mm print availability. I cannot confirm, though. Any projectionists out there remember handling a 70 on this title?

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Current and Forthcoming Releases Available with Dolby Stereo Sound-Tracks Include:" from 1980 September (S80/2803/2838) and 1980 October (S80/2838/2922) list The Black Stallion as a "35mm Dolby Stereo optical without surround" release.

Carr and Hayes include it on their list of 70mm Blowups.

I have a letter from Ludwig Seiler, Production Co-ordinator at Ontario Place Corporation, dated 1980 November 20 that The Black Stallion was available in 70mm.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed Mike... I distinctly recall Black Stallion playing in 70mm at the Edwards Big Newport. But I didn't personally see it, so can't actually confirm it.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the Big Newport ran it in 70mm for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that the Southern California 70mm exhibition history has been extensively documented on the Widescreen Review Web site.

1) In 1979, the Edwards Newport Cinema was two screens (originally one in 1969, currently six). Screen 1 was equipped for 70mm. Screen 2 wasn't equipped until 1982 (for a 70mm run of STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN since Screen 1 was occupied with ANNIE). Dave, wasn't it you who informed me about this 1982 install, in the first place?!?

2) The release date I have for THE BLACK STALLION is December 14. A week earlier, STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE opened...and was playing on Newport's Big Screen.

3) The IMDb has an October 17 release date. Okay....well, the Newport was still running APOCALYPSE NOW in 70mm at that point. In November they ran THE ROSE in 70mm, which they dropped on December 6 to accommodate the release of the STAR TREK film.

Sorry, Brad, this has turned into a rambling thread. I suppose it's relevant if someone's trying to book a print for a revival screening or something. Move it into Yak or Film Handler's if you feel it appropriate.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 08:14 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"John Willis' Screen World 1980 Volume 31" (ISBN 0-517-541408) lists The Black Stallion as an October release.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thread moved to Film-Yak section ("The Black Stallion" in 70mm?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: