Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Format of 'The Right Stuff' (1983)? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Format of 'The Right Stuff' (1983)?
George May
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 04:11 AM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning a special outdoor screening of Philip Kaufman's 1983 film 'The Right Stuff. Warners, the UK distributor assures me it's in 'Scope, though the IMDB tells me it's in normal 1:1.85 widescreen. (http://uk.imdb.com/Technical?0086197) and that's my memory too from when I showed it years ago.

I need to know for cetain, as the distance at which I set up the scaffolding tower for the projector depends on this vital fact! Can anyone help?

Thanks.

George May

george.may@iplbath.com

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 04:35 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy:
If memory serves me right, RIGHT STUFF was 1.85.
There may be some confusion on Warners part in that most of the showings of that film in the states were 70MM and maybe they thought the reduction prints were going to be in Scope.
By the way I thought that film was one of the best films of it's time. Unfortunately I understand it did not do much business in the good ol' USofA.
Fuckin A Bubba!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 04:44 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should be in feature into and trailer attachments

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-07-2002 05:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any 70mm prints of this still in circulation which are in presentable condition?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-07-2002 01:50 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"This information is not based on actually handling a print" I'm violating the forum rule about not posting unless I have actually handled the print, since it's unlikely anyone will have this at their fingertips (literally). (I know, I'm in deep now)

The Widescreen Review 70mm Filmography sez:

Spherical (1.85:1)
6-Track Dolby Stereo

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unaware of any scope prints for this title. If there are any it would mean they did a dual-format release. (Is that likely???)

THE RIGHT STUFF

35mm prints:
Flat 1.85:1
Dolby A
# reels: A lot! (I think 10 or 11)

70mm blow-up prints:
side-matted to (approximate) 1.85:1
Dolby A (Format 42/babyboom/single-surround)
# reels: A lot! (I think 10 or 11)

Information above pertains to original 1983/84 prints. If any new prints have been made, it's possible the audio could be SR or any of the digital formats.

quote:
There may be some confusion on Warners part in that most of the showings of that film in the states were 70MM and maybe they thought the reduction prints were going to be in Scope.

Reduction prints? "The Right Stuff" was shot in 35mm (not 65mm) so the 35mm prints would've been "normal" contact prints and the 70s would've been a blow-up. Could this "flat"/"scope" confusion stem from some spherical blow-ups (not "The Right Stuff," however, unless different sets of prints were made) sometimes filling the full width of the 70mm frame giving the impression that perhaps the film is scope ("Rollerball," for instance)?

While there were a fair number of 70mm prints in circulation of this title, *most* of the North America engagements were actually 35mm. However, *most* of the big city engagements (LA, NY, Chicago, etc.) were screening one or a few 70mm prints.

George,
Let us know what format your print is when it arrives, please.

George May
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 07:11 AM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'll tell you the format of what I get, but don't hold your breath. It's not till September!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-08-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
definately 1.85:1.

Excellent film. One of the best.

John

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

John Hazelton
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 12:39 PM      Profile for John Hazelton   Author's Homepage   Email John Hazelton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add another confirmation to Michael's info.

Original 35mm prints of "The Right Stuff" are:

Dolby A
10 reels

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 03:21 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the U.K there is a realy good 70mm print of
'The Right Stuff' around.
My boss asures me i will get to show it! Just installed 70mm , not DLP!

Cya
Darren

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-27-2002 09:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that for sure? You've seen this print? I may need it next April...

George May
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 04:46 AM      Profile for George May   Author's Homepage   Email George May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now have the print in my hands (in fact, I'm told it's the only print of 'The Right Stuff' for hire in the UK). It's 1:1.85.

The show is on September 11th. See wwww.pyjamapictures.org.uk

George

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm Print here in the U.k
Excellent condition

10 reels
Dolby A format 42
1.85:1 Ratio (YES MICHAEL 1.85:1 RATIO, SIDE MATTE BARS)
193 mins
Warner Bros Dist

Anyone else show it here in the U.K
LOOK AFTER IT PLEASE!!!

[ 01-31-2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Darren Briggs ]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 03:39 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.85:1 on 70mm ??

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Some 70mm productions were shown with a 1.85:1 ratio, with black "side bars" printed on the film. Other examples include "E.T. The Extraterrestrial".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: