Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2001 01:25 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Rainbow re-release
Film Services Facility
5 reels
1.85 flat
SR-D/SR (no DTS timecode, apparently fake SDDS)

Heads and tails look very interesting. They're fine, just different from the standardized look.

------------------
Tao Yue
MIT '04: Course VI-2, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Projectionist, MIT Lecture Series Committee

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 02:37 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it looks better at 1.66:1. Fewer cropped heads. Of course it might be the fault of the aperture/lenses not being perfect for 1.85:1.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alert :

reel changes 1-2 and 2-3 are both fade out, smash cut in.
As in, the ends of reels 1 and 2 fade to black. And the start of reels 2 and 3 start with an image (with id frames left on my print)
There were hand made cue marks.

The print seem to be a mixture of academy and 1.66:1

Ran in 1.85 with no problems. And i dont have perfect 1.85:1.

On the opening credits with the comedy subtitles on the bottom, make sure that the text is as low as you can frame it, without it falling off the bottom of the screen. So that it appears just at the bottom of the screen, then there will not be any cropped heads etc at the top of the frame.

Some other warnings.
During the opening credits there are a couple of points where the sounds slows down to a stop (as if the projector has stopped) that might cause you do run in a panic to the booth

Also there are no end credits. There is a fake film break. Then about 3 minutes or so of music with black image (close the curtains) untill the end of the film.

Had no BBFC certificate at the head on the film.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 02:56 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Where did you get your print from?

No BBFC card at the front of the print is puzzling.
have you let the distributor know?

In fact running the print in this way contavenes your cinema license.
See below taken from BBFC website

Cinematograph Act 1952
Prohibited children from 'unsuitable' films.
Licensing conditions vary.
Most local authorities use Home Office Guidelines including:
- no exhibition of film without certificate.
- cinema box office to act as age bar.
- the certificate must appear in advertising, at the cinema entrance, and on screen immediately before the film is shown.
- no film to be exhibited if licensing authority gives written notice prohibiting its exhibition.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick: If I remember correctly from an earlier post (sorry if I don't), Michael's theatre is a student film society, which do not have to be licenced by the local authority (because they are not open to the public, only members of an organisation, i.e. the University), or show BBFC certificates (unless, say, internal university regulations require them to).

At one student film society I ran we did get a tip off that a local council crackdown on places of entertainment was imminent, and therefore started checking everyone's student union card before letting them in. This caused more than a little resentment, as we had thusfar done this so rarely that many people hadn't bothered to bring their cards.

In my rep cinema days I found that new arthouse titles arriving without certs was fairly routine (though sometimes they'd arrive in a Jiffy bag a few days later, and if we'd put the feature on a platter they were a pain in the bum to insert). None of the managers or local authorities I worked with was in the slightest bit concerned about this. At Exeter we attracted a lot of interest when Crash came out - we were the only cinema in Devon showing it, and several people from the local council hovered around the foyer to make sure we weren't letting under 18s in. As I remember, the print had no certificate on the front and no-one raised any concerns over this.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 04:10 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are about 2 or 3 prints doing a run around the UK film societies over a period of a few weeks.

Its a promotion since the film is just coming out on DVD and a new VHS version.

They sent us some prizes DVD's , T Shirts, Bunny Rabbits with sharp pointy teeth, and a signed Michael Palin DVD cover, that we gave away.

And yes we are not a public cinema.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 04:44 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair comment. But did they not bring forth the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and lobbest it towards me

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or indeed fart in your general direction?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2002 02:28 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries....

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-28-2002 04:12 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now go away or I shal taunt you a second tim-e.

Ni!

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You so called Arthur King and your English Ker Niggets!!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print had hand made cue marks. They seemed to be placed only 4 frames from the end of the reel.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-21-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-06-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1112 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-06-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Print #120 from Rainbow releasing is in rather sorry shape. It is on polyester-base stock, but has several splices and the fadeouts at the end of R1 and R2 have been butchered (I tried to put them back together as best as possible).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: