Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Quills

Author Topic: Quills
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2000 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7 Reels
Flat
SRD Only
20th Century Fox
ETS Depot - Sorry

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-25-2001 07:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure this is 1-66 judging by the framing of action and the fact that some shots have a 1-66 hard matte (there are none with a 1-85 matte). But if only the correct ratio could be written on the leader of the interneg, we wouldn't have to play this guessing game...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-25-2001 10:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Fox doesn't distribute through TES to my knowledge. Sure that didn't come through ETS?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is Fox Searchlight, does that make a difference?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-29-2001 01:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMDB has it as 1.85:1, as does Film Journal.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-29-2001 08:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>This is Fox Searchlight, does that make a difference?<<

Nope. Still ETS.

Aaron

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2001 01:59 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB is notoriously inaccurate. Up until just recently, "Cast Away" was listed as scope, and under goofs for "The Wizard od Oz" we learn:

Continuity: During the apple tree sequence, Dorothy's slippers momentarily disappear. [widescreen only]

Widescreen? From a film shot in 1939?

Nay, don't look to the IMDB for technical info.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the frame looks like 1.66 does not me it should be projected that way. Remember sometimes the photography above and below the center of the framed image is full of junk that was not intended to be projected to the screen. Therefor the 1.85 ratio applies.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-31-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously they are not going to be 100% accurate at IMDB, but they are pretty darn close. Cast Away should be in scope, not flat and many places ran Oz in 1.85 through lack of 1.375 facilities.

It's not a bible...but it's a pretty reliable reference.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-15-2001 07:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the whole film after work, and decided on 1-85 cos of the dead space at the top of the frame when using 1-66.

BUT I SHOULD NOT BE HAVING TO DO THIS! As John P has pointed out, the standard leader should state the exact ratio, not just 'flat' or 'scope'. Is it really too much to ask that the DoP's intended projection ratio is actually written on the head leaders?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: