Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Classified   » Equipment and Supplies Wanted/For Sale   » N/A - F/S - DeVry XD changeover system

Author Topic: N/A - F/S - DeVry XD changeover system
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2012 04:21 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photos

So I got these from a guy out in Indio, (CA) and they look pretty good! Stereo solar cells, (though you might want to improve on their mounting technique) mag penthouses, even original DeVry changeovers (off of a set of 12000's?) and DeVry pedestals in good shape! Very clean, I mean, *remarkably* clean, though have been sitting a while, but are disassembled, so we don't get a chance to run them. No cables, but the price is right, so what the heck.

Turns out, a previous owner somewhere in history had completely re-wired them for remote control using mostly relays. (see photos in above Photobucket link) He also goes to a lot of trouble to mount mag penthouses on them. Something I'd never seen before on an XD.

So they can be worked on conveniently, I had a machine shop put casters on the pedestals. Works pretty d**n good! The pickups are even

Took me a little while to figure out how he'd mounted everything, but got it all together, wired up a power cable, and plugged it in. Hit the main power switch, the framing lights came on, check. Hit the motor switch, nothing. Looked it all over, traced it out, (again, see pictures...) and found that indeed, the remote cables (not included) are necessary to make it run. Odd 7 pin Cannon connectors, no real indication of what's supposed to be on the cables, double Crap. Then I look a little closer, and see some clipped cables to nowhere here and there. It's just getting better and better. Looks to me like it's gone through multiple owners, and everybody has made their own little "contributions".

So here's the deal. Mechanically, looks pretty clean, and pretty darned good. The wiring is a mess. If you ask me, the whole modification needs to be ripped out, and restored back to the original simple motor switch, etc. schematic. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do it. Too many irons in the fire, and I have to pick my battles. So I'm passing it on.

Everything you see is for sale, including 900w Cinemecanicca lamphouses. One rectifier was good, the other trash, but Christie 1k's are pretty much a dime a dozen nowadays. Am willing to split out lamphouses, but discount if everything goes together. Lamphouses both test out fine. Exhaust fans are currently built in to both lamphouses. Hey, somebody out there probably has some original small DeVry incandescent lamphouses on a shelf left-over from an upgrade somewhere. Shouldn't be hard if you don't want the xenons.

DeVry's - $500 takes both.
Lamphouses - $600 takes both and the one good rectifier.
Together - $1,000

Everything is at my home in San Diego, and I *STRONGLY* recommend in-person pick-up. It *could* be crated and shipped, but just the thought makes me shudder.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: