Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Classified   » Equipment and Supplies Wanted/For Sale   » For Free: Advent VideoBeam Projector

Author Topic: For Free: Advent VideoBeam Projector
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-17-2010 03:36 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kloss's first foray into a high quality three gun video projector using RGB CRT tubes and an integrated X/Y curved concave screen to direct as much light back to the seating area as possible. The resulting image is very bright and about the best resolution capable with an NTSC signal. Built in tuner is useless now, but video IN still allows non-HD projection. It only has composite video IN (no component), but the electronics have front panel switches for testing R, G, B tubes, so breaking into those points to feed a composite signal should be easy to inject at those point if you have a little electronic know-how. Image size is 6ft diagonal.

It has very sophistocated built-in convergence controls with a hatch pattern generator that is more elaborate than the later consumer models (NovaBeam) which relied only on a single cross hair to converge the tubes at the center of the screen. The Advent VB has a crosshatch pattern and front panel convergence controls for 9 sections of the image, making the three tube alignment very easy and accurate. And although it is the very first commercial-type CRT projector of its kind and over 35 years old, it still produces a sharp, vivid image with rich colors. I love it and it has provided us with decades of great entertainement. The only reason I am letting it go is because I have to go to HD and this NYC apartment dweller just has no place to keep it.

The screen is delicate and CANNOT BE HANDLED. Only the lightest, barely touched finger prints will come off -- any more than that will be permanently visible, so if you have kids, better be able to rope off at least 3 feet in front of the screen or put it on the other side of a mote. It can be washed but only with the very finest of spray misting that can be ever-so gently wiped off with a soft cloth and WITHOUT PRESSURE. As great as the screen is to make the picture look very bright, no question its Ackiles Heal is the delicate surface. The screen does have a cloth cover for moving.

The screen and the projector are yours free, but you must pick it up in Brooklyn NY. It won't fit in a van. Best way to transport the screen is in a flatbed truck. I'll post pictures shortly.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: