Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Why can't the DCI spec for picture & sound formats be force-automated? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why can't the DCI spec for picture & sound formats be force-automated?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-27-2019 04:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Film Handler's Review forum in the threat re: KNIFE OUT, Jack said:
quote:
The theatre was showing it in 'scope, which lopped off many of the actors from the forehead up. We went to the manager, who said the movie was "made that way". Got a refund
and Mike added:
quote:
This happens a lot. It drives me crazy. I don't understand why it's so hard to project a movie in its proper aspect ratio.
And it made me wonder, since the whole idea of the DCI specs and conforming to them was mandated, why is the selection of image and sound format is left to the end-user, when the flags are all there? All that information is available in the data that is used to play the film, why can't the system have safeguards in to not allow a film authored to play in 1.85 be projected in scope? They certainly won't let the projector play a picture if it is out of the Key date/time range...why can't software be put in place that will prevent silly mistakes from being made by theatre personnel who obviously are not qualified to make up a playlist. Shouldn't the server simply refuse to play a title in the wrong aspect ratio? All the format information is right there in the metadata?

The system also has the information about what theatre the film is being played in; should that include what sound format it is capable of reproducing: wouldn't it be an easy task to only allow playback in the sound format with which the theatre is equipped, as in, if the theatre is only a 5.1 playback, then should the manager (or whoever) happens to select Dolby Altos, it would just automatically select 5.1 instead? I was going to say, without even alerting the programmer. Or possibly just graying out everything possible choice except the correct one. Any incorrect format simply wouldn't be available. It could also be used as a Pavlovian learning tool...say by giving a slight electrical shock to the programmer as soon as they touch the wrong icon, with the shock getting strong and strong with each successive wrong choice. Oh wait, that was done in that psychological experiment...I think people went to jail. But that might be a small price to pay, if it teaches these yokels how Not To Do Digital WRONG!

I would think that having a more robust control over what formats are able to end-user would go a long way to avoid the kind of asinine mistakes that seem to be happening rather routinely. And not to mention, it would also allow even the least skilled staffer to build an error-free playlist (can anyone say minimum wage employee?) -- something exhibition is ALWAYS looking for.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2019 03:24 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
problem is, you're trusting whoever made the dcp to have done it right. they can be mislabeled as to whether they're flat or scope, or they might be scope ratio within a flat container, or, or....

something i've seen a few times is a reissue of an old (from the days of film!) mono movie where the sound has been distributed across the stage channels. i presume that this is to ensure that sound will come out no matter how things are set up. but to do it right you have to either play it in format 80 to matrix lt and rt into the center channel or turn off all but the center amp.

furthermore, there seems to be no standard as to what exactly the dimensions of a 1.66 or 1.37 image actually are. and you may get hit with a 1:1.2 movie... with a 1.85 short attached to the head (lighthouse).

there's no getting away from the need for a human being (with some experience!) to figure this stuff out.

but you knew that, frank. (seriously, with all respect, love ya!)

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-28-2019 08:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had this happen to me the day after Christmas (Regal Kingstown in VA). Took my Mom and Sister to see Little Women. Everything being shown full screen scope (ads and trailers). Did notice some clipping of top and bottom during a trailer that had titles that filled the screen, but assumed it was a one off mistake. Feature starts and it is full screen scope (ok, maybe IMDB was wrong about it being 1:85). The opening scenes seemed a little awkwardly framed, but maybe that was intentional. After a few minutes there's a title along the bottom that is cut in half and I knew I had to go find a manager.
That took some work. I had to disrupt someone behind the concession counter (sorry whomever he was serving) and have her call her. I described the problem and she appeared to know exactly what it was and the problem was fixed by the time I found my way back to the movie (totally pissed off for having to have to do this, and knowing the audience would have sat through the whole thing like that).
Worst part is, this is not like having the wrong lens or aperture plate in. This is a playlist, which means everyone who saw the film on opening day saw it wrong, and everyone watching it after our show is probably watching it wrong, because if there isn't someone who can redo the playlist between shows, it is just going to keep being shown wrong.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-28-2019 09:21 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Carl points out, the issue would be that by automating the selection of aspect ratio and audio format, you'd be putting your professional life in the hands of the author of the DCP, by trusting them to get the metadata right.

So would you use the metadata from the ISDCF DCP name, or the fields in the CPL file? Sometimes they disagree, with one but not the other being correct. Sometimes, neither are correct. When I worked at the Egyptian, I found that many if not most DCPs we received with legacy aspect ratios were simply tagged "F," rather than F-166, F-137, etc. etc., as they should have been. Although I encountered this less often, the audio channel configuration tags were sometimes wrong, too. Often a mono movie would be tagged 51, and that could be mono duplicated on channels 1 and 2 (in which case it needs to be played through a ProLogic decoder to achieve center channel mono), or correctly placed on channel 3 only.

Admittedly, this wouldn't be a significant issue for a mainstream 'plex house, where 99.9% of DCPs played will either be F/1.85 or S/2.39, and 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos. But if you automate the process of configuring the projector and audio processor based on either the ISDCF tags or the CPL metadata, it becomes less likely that the theater will catch errors in this information, because that aspect of the ingestion QC will have been subsumed into a set-and-forget operation.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-28-2019 03:21 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most TMS have an option to select the main feature format automatically from a DCPs ISDCF name, SMPTE metadata or image properties. But, this can go wrong. It may even be that in this case, it was the automation that did the wrong decision...

Yes, admittedly, for the average scope vs. flat feature, that SHOULD work well enough. However, it is possible that the number of errors introduced by the automatic format selection is not too far from the number of errors introduced by manual playlist building. I remember that in the very early days of digital cinema, when mostly first generation or series 1 projectors existed, features came with their own PCF file that should be used with the feature.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-28-2019 10:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the correct way, is to implement it in form of metadata tags as part of the CPL, not by parsing titles, which are of a mere descriptive quality by default.

Also, I think the best way something like "AR" can be represented is not by simply storing the AR itself, but by providing the actual resolution of the container and by providing the active area within this container, for example as a set of x,y coordinates. This should account for all odds and the type of container and AR can be easily derived from this.

The question remains what to do with those movies that perform all kinds of aspect ratio switcheroo...

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2019 03:10 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
agree that the actual pixel dimensions of the image should be somehow specified, rather than just the aspect ratio (they could still be wrong, but it'd be more useful). i don't really have any use for the notion of "container" if i can just get those dimensions. in the case of changing ratios, give the maximum x and y extent of the image.

you'll still have exceptions, though, like "the mystery of picasso", whose first 3 reels are 1.37 and the last scope. it calls for a dramatic opening of the masking at that point, but the dcp botches it and embeds it all in 1.85. you really need a 35mm print (as you always should with pre-digital movies) and a fixed-height screen.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-29-2019 08:18 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
you'd be putting your professional life in the hands of the author of the DCP, by trusting them to get the metadata right.
While I agree on that, I can also think that we cannot easily change the colour space or the active area of a DCP and when we select FLAT or SCOPE on our projectors we indeed assume that the author of the DCP did his job right.

Indeed there may be some flexibility involved and I'd personally like full control of my system but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to implement some automation (regardless whether a TMS is being used or not) which can then be bypassed by the staff if something is wrong or if different decisions are made - right now I'm thinking of a "Scope in Flat" trailer on a Scope screen which I may prefer to show in Scope with some black bars around the picture rather than having a small area floating in the middle of the screen.

Yes, I know, ideally you request the actual scope trailer and ideally you have masking. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-29-2019 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion...

There should be the means to have metadata derived from the CPL that allows the correct content to be ingested (e.g., if you only support 2D and 5.1), the SMS and TMS systems should give you the option of only seeing those things you can run...

From there there should be the means to also have that Metadata automatically choose image and sound formats automatically. It puts the burden on the installer to define them properly and on the content creator to get it right.

Finally, always provide for a full-manual tickbox so one can see or run whatever they think is correct.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-30-2019 12:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag

From there there should be the means to also have that Metadata automatically choose image and sound formats automatically. It puts the burden on the installer to define them properly and on the content creator to get it right.

You must not deal with very many of those new "film"makers out there. Now that people can output a DCP from their laptop, everyone thinks they are a professional. Unfortunately they hardly ever manage to even get the filename formatted to the DCI naming convention, and often when you speak directly to the "director" even he has no clue what aspect ratio they shot their "film" in.

Case in point not too long ago we had to run one of these "My DCP" files on screen to figure out the aspect ratio. The director was there and said the picture looked better in scope, but we needed to stop cutting off the top of the actor's heads. (No genius, it's called common height masking and it just makes your movie LOOK bigger, at the loss of a chunk of your image.)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-30-2019 02:12 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should've 'stretched' his movie into scope and when he'd complain about everybody looking "fat", you simply should've told him: Didn't you know? Everybody gains a few pounds in scope. Didn't they tell you that back in "film"school? [Razz]

quote: Steve Guttag
Finally, always provide for a full-manual tickbox so one can see or run whatever they think is correct.
Yes, there should always be the manual override option, especially for those cases where directors don't know in which aspect ratio they want their movie to be shown. [Wink]

But I guess, that for average usage, the amount of mis-framed shows could be reduced, if the switch between aspect ratios could be fully automated, as in: No separate cues needed.

The downside I see to this is that those who operate this equipment on a daily basis become even more oblivious to stuff like framing and masking...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-30-2019 08:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
You should've 'stretched' his movie into scope and when he'd complain about everybody looking "fat", you simply should've told him: Didn't you know? Everybody gains a few pounds in scope. Didn't they tell you that back in "film"school?
Except we're talking digital here, as in square pixels.

Had I performed some digital magic through the art of scaling to achieve that result, I'm sure the director would've thought it was perfect and there was nothing wrong. [Roll Eyes]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-31-2019 08:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble there is, in order to automate the picture format, there needs to be a clear indication and reference that can manage CPL picture format and projector macro combinations. That is reasonably straight for F and S - also because these are the standard formats available on every projector. If you want to go further, you need to set up associations between typical occurring picture formats. Having a combination of horizontal vs. vertical active pixel numbers doesn't solve that issue. That will only be helpful for a manual selection. Then there are quite a few features where the active pixel aspect ratio doesn't match a projector preset or masking setting. How will you solve that puzzle automatically?

Train your staff, and do enough supervision so to catch the occasional mistake ahead of time. If there is a mistake, it needs to be recognized early during the first showing and immediately be corrected within the SPL.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-31-2019 12:53 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe something like a lookup table based on certain value-ranges, even calculated values like the A.R. would mostly solve that problem. (e.g. AR > x and AR <= y: Preset Z)

So, even if you don't have a preset for that exact configuration, you'll end up with the configuration closest to the ideal.

quote: Brad Miller
Had I performed some digital magic through the art of scaling to achieve that result, I'm sure the director would've thought it was perfect and there was nothing wrong.
Too bad DCI doesn't support those "smilebox" kind of scaling thingies, where the edges get stretched more than the center of the image. I remember hordes of people watched 4:3 TV on their "brand new" widescreen sets back in the day with those "magical stretch modes" activated when 4:3 was still the go-to aspect ratio. [Wink]

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2019 01:11 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is constant height with variable side masking the most common? If so, it seems like a server could send a projector a command to adjust the lens to yield the correct height based on the number of pixels vertically, then send a command to the masking motor to adjust the masking based on the number of pixels horizontally.

Back when I was peripherally involved in IMB design (not at all now), there was a lot of "monkey motion" to change the size of the image (pixels per line and number of lines) sent by the IMB to the projector. It seemed a lot simpler to me to just always send the full size of the imaging chip, center the image and put black pixels around it. But, I think the design stayed with the "monkey motion."

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: