Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC Digital Cinema Communicator

Author Topic: NEC Digital Cinema Communicator
Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2019 05:48 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Does anybody have a download of this available?

Thank you.

- Adam

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-11-2019 12:14 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
series 1 or series 2?

Emmanuel Nwokafor
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2019 04:27 PM      Profile for Emmanuel Nwokafor   Author's Homepage   Email Emmanuel Nwokafor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I ve DCC series 2 and the DCCv2, which of the DCC are you asking for or which NEC projector do want to use the DCC to control ?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2019 07:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send me a private IM and I'll send you the latest version.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-25-2019 11:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's where I was headed but asking whether he has an s1 or s2 model tells me which program is needed. Seems like he is no longer interested though, no action in 2 weeks. NEC support will supply a link if you ask, possibly he called them?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-26-2019 10:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also some laser models that require an individual version of Communicator. Two that I know of are as follows. The NC1040L needs version 5.0.6.01, and if you try to connect with the regular Series 2 version (currently 5.1.8.10), it'll say "This projector is not supported by this version." The NC3541L requires version 3.2.0.88. The main Series 2 version will connect and let you do basic functions, but if you try to save a title, it'll throw a "Communicator is not connected to the projector - do you want to reconnect?" error. There may be other glitches that I haven't encountered, too.

If you're not sure what Communicator version a given projector needs, it's a good idea to check on partners.necdisplay.com before working on it. I'm pretty sure that the regular Series 2 version works for all xenon models, plus the 900 and 1000, but that rule of thumb is not reliable when working with the laser models.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-26-2019 11:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense Leo as there are adjustments and set up for laser that don't pertain to xenon and vice versa.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-26-2019 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCC2 has been able to adapt itself to the projector it is connected to (e.g. what options are offered for an NC900 versus NC1200).

I suspect that they wanted to cut their need to backwards support older technology so that any software changes only need to be checked against current production equipment. The newer DCC also is more verbose when it comes to fans and locations (it is more graphical).

Life would be a smidge easier if NEC would declare their non-ICP projectors to be "Series 3" as the others have and merely called the new DCC DCC3 so that it would be obvious enough...the same way there is a DCC1 for series 1 and DCC2 for series 2.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-27-2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The need for different versions of NEC Communicator depending on which projector you're driving doesn't make much difference for the end user (as long as the installer takes care to supply the correct one), but it does make life more difficult for the service tech. Barco's approach of having one Communicator package that can drive anything from a DP50 to a DP4K-17BLP results in a bigger package (about 100 MB for the Windows version, compared to 15 or so for NEC Commmunicator), but reduces confusion and messing around, and saves time at service calls.

I was personally very disappointed to see Barco not implement any Communicator support at all for the SP4K, because that instantly creates a significant disadvantage when using these projectors alongside older Barcos at a given site. OK, if the projectors and servers are being driven by automation controllers and/or TMS systems in daily use, there isn't any need for site managers to use the manual UI at all, but many like to, and service techs still need to.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2019 04:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DP50 is NOT supported by the current Communicator...but close...a DP90/DP100 IS supported IF it is on the latest version of firmware. The DP90/DP100 are the only two that can use either the older Communicator or the current version.

The size of the Barco package is partly due to the fact it carries with a virtual manual for all of those projectors too.

I could definitely see making a break from the series 1 projectors, at this point. There isn't any new happening to them and it has been 10-years since the last one was made.

The SP4K is a significant departure from previous designs...sharing essentially nothing, but the lenses from prior equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: