Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Here...Play This JPEG (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Here...Play This JPEG
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A studio sent me a “slide” as a .jpg with a request that I put on a USB stick, and load it on the projector and play it ahead of a screening. Never mind the distinction between server and projector, I know I cannot do that. The server wants DCPs and the disk players want disks. One could display it from a laptop I suppose but the best solution in this situation is to make a DCP with DCP-MATIC.

My setup is an NEC NC1200C with a Dolby DSS200 (media block within server).

What I would like to know, just out of curiosity, now that there are internal media blocks and internal servers, is there any setup where this is possible? Just walk up with a jpg or other media file on a USB stick and play it?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2019 03:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVI Input via a laptop or computer.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-18-2019 03:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Blu-Ray players will do it.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 03:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But never by plugging it into a server or media block, right?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 03:26 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many Sony Bluray players have USB input and can read .jpg still images. I believe other brands also have this capability.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 03:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky- - at least you got a JPG. I've been handed "slides" people
wanted on screen that were MS-WORD or PDF documents.

Here's my suggestion:
Take the JPG slide & make a "still" DCP using DCP-0-Matic.
It's VERY simple to do, and I've had to do this so many times under
similar circumstances that I can now churn one out in 5 min or less.

You can specify a particular run length, and even fade in & out.

I had to do one of these last minute just a week or so ago.

I was given a JPG image of a logo the client wanted to appear as
a slide on screen as people entered the theater and during the show
intro, and come up on screen again after the feature during a Q&A.

> I made a 20sec DCP of the slide with the fade in & out and added it
to the playlist just before, and again after, their main feature.

> I also programmed a [PAUSE] into the playlist. so that the 20sec
slide would pause half way through & stay on screen as long as needed.

> After their live intro, when it came time to start the show, I hit [PLAY] on
the serverthingy and had 10sec to deal with taking out stage & house lights
and killing microphones, etc until the logo slide faded out & feature began.

> At the end of the festure, I again attached the DCP Logo clip, which played
10sec and paused then automatically paused agan & stayed on screen
for the length of the Q&A.

As I said earlier, I've had to do this so many times, and always it seems
at the last minute, that I have sort of a 'template' I've made in DCP-O-Matic
so that all I pretty much have to do is name the project and put in the
image file, and the rest (fades, length, etc) are already 'programmed'.

Works like a charm! [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I immediately went to DCP-O-MATIC and made a DCP which runs just fine. I was just curious whether this is ever possible.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 04:06 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema playback solution is something different than a home media player, which will just work when you plug in the USB stick and select the JPEG.

If there would be support for still images in modern playback servers, they at least need one extra option and that's how long to show the JPEG on screen.

I think your DCP-o-Matic solution was the most reasonable and I'd taken the same approach.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 05:13 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know any DCI server that plays a JPG (or any other common media file) without prior conversion. Yes, some 'projectors' can display still images as test images, but these need to be PNG, not JPEG, and you need installer/tech tools to use them that way.

Some servers are able to play h.264 oder VC1 video, but, usually, not as plain files, only when wrapped DCP style (similar to deprecated MPEG2-Interop), or using streaming methods.

- Carsten

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be handy if BDs and DVDs (or specific files therein) could be played on a server and even incorporated into a timeline.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 06:38 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be interesting. Just plug a USB Blu Ray ($25) into the internal server and somehow play stuff off it. You could avoid all the HDMI issues...

Harold

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-18-2019 07:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always kind of wanted a D-cinema server that would take a Blu-Ray or DVD and make a DCP out of it. It's easy enough to do this on a computer, but a fully automated process (insert disk, wait 12-24 hours, DCP is ready to play) would be so great.

I'm not sure why this isn't a basic function of the equipment.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 07:39 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something like "ingest from DVD."

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 08:00 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such function would only be useful if it could deal with encrypted DVDs and Blurays, and that process is illegal in many countries.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 08:12 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically all countries that have implemented something like the DMCA. But it would sure be great to have something like a DVD/Blu-Ray/external playback solution that could be better tied into a playlist.

I guess once alternative content becomes more of a dominant thing in average cinema operations, those features will eventually materialize. In that case, your playback machine will become more of a central show-controller than just a DCP playback machine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: