Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The Rise of Skywalker - IMAX Sequences? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Rise of Skywalker - IMAX Sequences?
Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2019 12:15 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm reading that no film prints will be struck for this. Can anyone confirm that at least the IMAX Laser version will have the full 1.43:1 ratio for those IMAX shot scenes? And if not, then why the hell is AMC Universal Hollywood charging $26.75 for a matinee?

|  IP: Logged

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2019 03:18 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thats most expensive movie ticket i have ever seen! Could wait a few months a own it for that price on UHD disc.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but then you wouldn't be seeing it in Imax Laser Vision on a 60 foot (or whatever) screen. You get what you pay for.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2019 08:19 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd set low expectations for the amount of 1.90:1 or otherwise scenes in the film. The Force Awakens legit only had ONE sequence in the expanded aspect ratio, and The Last Jedi lost its scenes in post production.

They don't even have any like IMAX featurettes highlighting the movie in IMAX like they did for previous features using the cameras.

For the record however, I would love to be wrong. I have tickets to standard digital. If its a strong film, I wouldn't mind going to see it in IMAX.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2019 10:22 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats too much for one movie viewing. If you think its not you are as crazy as they are. Is it over $30 in the evenings? $20 is my limit, IMAX Laser or not.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 02:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's only $29.25 for the 3D version...

Why would you want to watch a movie at such a rip-off place?

And it might be something personal, but I've seen IMAX Laser three times now and it remains one of the worst things out there. As long as they can't get their speckle issues fixed, it's like looking at iridescent unicorn barf all over the screen.

quote: Chris Haller
expanded aspect ratio
So, the aspect ratio of my CRT television of about 30 years ago is now considered expanded aspect ratio? What has become of the world...

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 04:22 AM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
So, the aspect ratio of my CRT television of about 30 years ago is now considered expanded aspect ratio? What has become of the world...
Hey man, I don't make the rules. I just follow them.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 06:38 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's making the rules then? The MoAR*?

*Ministry of Aspect Ratios

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 08:29 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want to watch a movie at such a rip-off place?
It's nothing compared to the cost of seats in the front circle at the refurbished Odeon Leicester Square. A ticket for a new release is currently £40 which equates to $51.85.

(Plus booking fee).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-18-2019 10:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JFC! £40 for a movie ticket? Plus booking fee? You can see some live concerts for less money than that. Hell, paying upwards of $30 per ticket to see something in Lie-MAX is humiliating enough. A movie-goer could pay someone to punch him in the dick for a similar experience.

The Rise of Skywalker isn't yet available for pre-order at our local theaters here in my town (at least it isn't showing up on their respective web sites yet). I'm hoping these outrageous prices are confined to big cities in California and the East Coast. If our local "IMAX" theater wants a few dollars more per ticket just for this movie I'll most definitely pass on that. Hell, it costs $19 to see a 3D movie in that auditorium currently. That's expensive enough.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 03:44 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you even get screen masking and curtain(s) for 40 GBP?!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-18-2019 04:16 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to the Odeon Leicester Square since the "Dolby Cinema" revamp, but they used to have masking AND curtains...

Premium seating in that room used to be pretty expensive, even before the rebuild.

To be honest, I never really cared too much for the Odeon at Leicester Square, despite the history in that building. I always found the screen to be rather undersized for such a large room. Nothing compared to the massive, now demolished* Screen 1 of the Empire Leicester Square...

* They put in another of those awful IMAX with lasers things into that room while halving it in size and utterly screwing the room while doing so.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 09:29 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very well respected video calibrator I know went to the Leicester Square Odeon right after it opened and he walked out and got a refund. Said its not a good one (Dobly Cinema). What a shame.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2019 01:00 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow $51 for a movie ticket!! For that price the sound system better knock my socks off!

So it seems as though the AMC Universal Hollywood charges about $23 for an IMAX digital experience and once a Disney movie takes over, they raise the price a few dollars extra. And for a Star Wars movie add even more money.

They have some nerve charging that kind of price when that auditorium still has old uncomfortable seats.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2019 05:57 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you even get screen masking and curtain(s) for 40 GBP?!
Masking, yes. Curtains, no.
To be honest, I never really cared too much for the Odeon at Leicester Square, despite the history in that building. I always found the screen to be rather undersized for such a large room.
Agreed. The sightlines were awful too - you either had to crane your neck in the front stalls or put up with the small screen being too far away. That's been improved with the installation of the recliners, even though the screen isn't any larger. With the seat fully reclined in row four or five in the stalls you're looking directly at the screen and it just about fills your field of vision (at the expense of the picture being a little dimmer due to the angle).

After a week or two (depending on the film's popularity) the middle stalls seats reduce from £35 to £25, which is about on par with the horrible IMAX screen across the road and that's when I've caught a few movies there. The first two weeks of Rise of Skywalker are full price, natch.

quote:
For that price the sound system better knock my socks off!
The sound is top notch. I'm guessing it must be the largest auditorium with Atmos and the only one with a balcony. There's apparently over 400 individual speaker units involved.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: