Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2308 vs NEC NC1000C

Author Topic: Christie CP2308 vs NEC NC1000C
Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 07:13 AM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
i was wondering if someone here could share their experience/thoughs with these projectors for a small town social centre that wants to be able to show dcp films
Christie CP2308 vs NEC NC1000C

thanks

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2019 07:34 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the screen dimension already chosen? The Christie will have some more light output due to being xenon based. For the occasional use as a cinema, the NC1000 may be a bit easier to handle, as the UHP lamp cartridges are easily user replaceable. Do you know wether that location will have easy access to cinema tech services - or is it in a very remote location?

With the projector, you also may need to make a choice of a server (the actual playback device). Have you been offered some? I understand the NC1000 is often offered with an IMS2000/OEM (which is okay).

If the Christie CP2308 is offered with Christies IMB-S3/NAS solution, I'd stay away from it and demand a different server. I consider that as too fiddly for the intended use.

- Carsten

Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 07:54 AM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten

The screen size is already chosen 9,xx meters width and 22m to the booth.

They will have maybe 1 - 3 shows each week and perhaps some alternative content, so i am guessing the run time of the lamp will be in the 8 hours range each week so i do not think they will need to replace the lamp very often.

Christie is being offered with the IMB S-3 playback server and Nas s-3 raid.
Does christie use an external raid instead of internal storage for content ?
if so then you are right it sounds overly complicated for a small one screen site.

Nec is offering itīs built in playback server NP90MS02-4

i have used sony and barco imbīs but both christie and nec are new to me.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-07-2019 08:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 9.xxm wide is too much for the NC1000. It may give a decent picture at first, but when the lamps age... even the 2308 is on the edge. I assume you have no ambition towards 3D?

The NP90MS02-4 is indeed NECs OEM version of the IMS2000.

Is there enough money for a Christie 2215? That is a proven platform and known workhorse.

Did you consider a Sony SRX-R510? This is very easy to operate for the occasional user and gives a nicer picture than the lower cost DLPs. Don't know if they are distributed to Iceland, though.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2019 08:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NEC server is the Dolby IMS2000 with an NEC badge for a complete package system from NEC.

I'm more than learly about Christie's IMB as their IMB S2 was a 100% failure product. They'll have to do very well to overcome that legacy.

Conversely, the IMS2000 has been ROCK SOLID...we still have zero failures and zero lost shows due to them.

Christie does use NAS servers (always have) and no internal storage...always has.

As for projectors, everyone has their quirks and I think Carsten has described the pros/cons of each adequately. I can't speak to how each company supports their product in your part of the world but that should also drive your decision. To the movie viewer, both are going to perform similarly.

Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments, your input should help the site owner alot.

all the best
Hoddi

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 08:50 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your screen is matte white the picture with the NC1000 will be WAY too dark. Also, the picture that both projectors offer sucks in term of image quality (Black Levels, Contrast).

If I was you I would go with a Sony 510. They have proven to be extremely reliable and offer very good image quality, also 4k of course (with very good lenses included).

If Sony is not an option I would maybe think about a CP2215.

I know this is not exactly what you asked for but after I did some sound upgrades to a cinema that uses NC900 lately and I saw the picture on their Matt white screen while testing I was shocked (once again) how poor the NECs image looked. Even for DLP standards.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 06:02 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That NC900 is wayyyy to low in light output and contrast for that screen. Sony is number one is you talk about picture quality when well maintained, but since they are not spread like rest, before buying check with deal to be somewhere local, so in case of failure you have source for spare parts. Next that Christie CP2215 or Barco 15C would be good is budget is alowing, bot are 0,98'' DLP with (maybee) christie has some better lenses. If money don't alow that, than you probably stuck on some solaria one plu or barco 10sx......which would be ok with 1.8 gain screen, which again will kill some contrast but, if money is tight, so there are compromisses [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2019 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NEC will be much higher reliability than the Christie, and the dual 450 watt lamps do produce a much brighter image than the NC-900 can and does.

Mark

Khushwant Singh
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2019 09:29 AM      Profile for Khushwant Singh   Email Khushwant Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie 2308 with Christie IMB S3 is very stable product ...

We are the first one to deploy this product in India August 2018 , very stable and robust.

one should opt without any thought

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: