Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Clear NC1000 tamper error?

Author Topic: Clear NC1000 tamper error?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-31-2019 08:27 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the procedure to clear a tamper error on an NC1000 different from an NC900? A fellow projectionist has removed the front cover in order to install the lens. He is in a remote location, and the 'integrator', or better, 'seller', refuses to tell him the service code and procedure to clear the tamper error (probably he doesn't even know them). I forwarded the service pin to him, but it seems he is not able to use it (it get's him into service mode, though). I suggested to try DCC-S2 as well, but he didn't get back to me so far about it.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-31-2019 12:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an extra six-digit code you have to enter on the keypad to remarry the IMB if any of the cards have been pulled from the card cage (you have to do this on the 1000, but not on the 900), but you shouldn't have to do that if only the front panel has been removed. The three four-digit codes you can enter, any one of which will clear a regular DCI tamper, have the same factory default on the 1000 as they do on the 900.

Maybe one or more of them has been changed from its factory default on the projector in question, perhaps by the "integrator," wanting to make a crooked euro or two out of an extra service call?

That having been said, I believe that NEC's official position is that service techs should not give the installation mode or service mode codes to end users. It's OK to give them the "advanced user" code, though, because the only thing that unlocks over and above what the projector will do with no code entered at all is the ability to tell the projector that you've replaced the lamp, enter the new bulb cert (xenon) or serial (900 and 1000) number, etc.

quote: Carsten Kurz
I suggested to try DCC-S2 as well...
Entering any of the codes into DCC won't clear a tamper. Per DCI rules, clearing a tamper can only be done physically at the projector, not remotely. This is why on an NEC, you have to enter the code on the projector's keypad, on Series 1 and early Series 2 Barcos you have the Dallas key ritual (and on later ones, the button that replaces the Dallas key), etc.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2019 12:29 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I had someone who couldn't clear the 'tamper' warning
on an NEC after entering the correct code multiple times, it turned
out that they hadn't replaced the cover quite right, which caused the
projector to 'think' the cover was still removed or open, and so that's
something else your friend might want to check.

I've got a xenon lamphouse on a 35mm projector at one location
which also refuses to work unless the cover is aligned EXACTLY
after being opened to replace the blub. It's very picky!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2019 01:15 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If what you have is a GDC IMB/IMS installed you can clear the tamper via the configuration maintenance menu. There is an IMB menu that has both service door and marriage buttons. Note this can only be done from the local screen server.

Like above make sure the cover that was removed is fully seated correctly and locked in place.

We are not allowed to post passwords on this form.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-31-2019 08:12 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as he could tell, it's a simple door tamper, not a broken marriage. That NEC NC1000 needs the front cover to come off in order to install the lens - and the lens was separated during transport to him. The unit came with an IMS2000.

The code I gave him allowed him to enter service menu - but the tamper error didn't clear by itself. I now found in an NC1000 service manual that, other than on the NC900, one would also have to press 'Enter' to clear the error. But there is also a passage about pressing left/right simultaneously in order to get into the service menu on the NC1000. Whatever, hard to see through from a distance.
I will also suggest to him to double check wether the front cover is reattached properly.

BTW - 'if anyone is interested', the NEC service pin is given plaintext in a Doremi IMB/NEC installation manual.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-01-2019 07:58 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems it's still not solved. He tells me that, while the service pins seems to work, he get's a response 'Different' when trying to reset the tamper error. He took off the cover again and it seems even with the existing non-cleared tamper error, the machine is making a difference between cover off and attached, so, looks as if the switch is working.

Anyone ever seen that 'different' message on an NC1000?

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-01-2019 08:21 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten - have a look at the PM I sent you.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-01-2019 09:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for suggestions. Looks as if the NC1000 is indeed a bit different from the NC900 when it comes to tamper clear. Let's wait and see when he comes back to me about it.

I know you can't clear a tamper error with DCC-S2 alone, but it would have told him more details about the status of the combo, also regarding marriage.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-01-2019 09:58 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have little to no experience with the NC1000, but the error message just read 'different' with nothing else? If so, this almost feels like a software bug more than some intentional creation.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-01-2019 10:17 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a japanese machine. I have seen weird language on that type of gear. Maybe 'different' is their way of saying 'invalid' or 'mismatch'.
It appears that, unlike the NC900, the NC1000 needs a passcode to get into service mode, and a different passcode to actually clear the cover tamper.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-01-2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Issue solved - thanx to everyone involved. As it seems, for the NC900, it is sufficient to enter service mode to clear the tamper error, while the NC1000 needs an additional passcode after service login to actually clear the tamper. Machine is playing fine now.

Regards - Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: