Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Fire extinguisher in the projection room

Author Topic: Fire extinguisher in the projection room
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-23-2019 05:55 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who now does the annual inspection and tagging for all of my fire extinguishers has pointed out that the standard fire extinguisher in my projection room is a bad idea. The white powder is corrosive and will destroy any electronics that it gets onto.

The right thing to have in a room full of electronics is a CO2 fire extinguisher which costs substantially more than a regular one but won't destroy your electronics.

I just ordered one....

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-23-2019 06:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, in Massachusetts, the fire extinguisher is supposed to be outside the booth door, rather than inside the booth. It can be either a CO2 or dry chemical type.

Interesting point about the corrosive powder, though. I didn't know that.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2019 06:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only have CO2 fire extinguishers inside and around our screening room. Powder based fire extinguishers are more effective, but the white powder is indeed deadly for your electronics equipment.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2019 06:25 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a Halon fire extinguisher that essentially robs the fire of both Oxygen and lowers the temperature that supports combustion.

Computer rooms can be equipped with a full room system of this type. Unfortunately, humans trapped in that room will also be deprived of Oxygen with fatal results.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2019 06:34 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halon is effectively being phased out since 1994. It's forbidden in all new implementations besides a very select number of military applications and applications in aerospace. I don't know any datacenters that use halon anymore, even air-traffic control datacenters I know have been refitted with alternative fire suppression measures.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2019 08:54 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The replacement for Halon is Haltron and is not suppose to be ozone depleting like Halon supposedly is.

I prefer Haltron or Halon to CO2 as CO2 is very cold and causes condensation and even ice to form on metal surfaces and can damage electronics as well.

The dry chem extinguishers are not only corrosive but you will never get that powder out of the optics.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2019 11:07 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halotron is indeed a good replacement for hand extinguishers to CO2 where available. CO2 seems to be somewhat more effective at close distance, with the added negative that condensation is possible. But you're fighting a (potential) fire here, so condensation is usually one of the few worries you have, the fire being usually the bigger (potential) source of damage.

If you're working in a badly ventilated environment like a basement, I'd really prefer Halotron or other "fuel cooling" agents, as CO2 dispels oxygen and is pretty poisonous/deadly for living beings at certain concentrations, although it's not very likely to get there after just a single fire extinguisher discharge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: