Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie laser projector mis-registered? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie laser projector mis-registered?
Jonathan Smiles
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2019 09:37 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smiles   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Smiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is mis-registration easily fixable on Christie laser projectors?

Don't know model of projector but it will be a standard model for a 200 odd seat theater with stadium seating. It's a new plex with all laser projection and laser IMAX.

Images such as white text have a red bottom edge and green top edge and it's visible on high contrast edges such as over actor's shoulder etc.

Can it be fixed remotely as the plex has no projectionists or techs on site?

|  IP: Logged

David Gibbons
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2019 10:27 AM      Profile for David Gibbons   Email David Gibbons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not sure about laser but it sounds like a convergence issue and that would need to be done onsite

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2019 12:21 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie offers digital convergence but I would definitely call a qualified D-Cinema tech in to manually perform the convergence calibration.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2019 02:32 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector converge can be off, no matter if the light source is Xenon, phosphor-laser or n*3P-laser. It's an easily fixable problem, as long as you let a competent tech do the re-calibration.

If one or more of the 3 DMDs don't properly align, you get a "rainbow shadowing" effect in different colors, depending on the affected colors. Those are especially good to see around hard edges.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-24-2019 09:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely call a qualified D-Cinema tech

-

Andrew Carr
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2019 11:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Carr   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which model is it? Convergence on the newer Christies is really simple. On the Boxers and larger RGB units they give you a test pattern with instructions on screen and there are both tools packaged in a compartment in the body and tool-less adjustment points inside the service door. Very easy to do.

EDIT: Just re-read, you don't know the model. If you can ask someone on site to get you that info, take a look at the manual and determine if you need to hire a tech. It's very hard to mess up though...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-24-2019 11:14 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a software convergence tool now accessible though the touchscreen. I guess this can be used as a temporary measure, even remotely, if a tech can't make it to the location in time. This per-pixel correction should at least be able to reduce an annoying amount of misconvergence. Of course, given that this machine must be quite new and should have been converged decently from factory and installation, it is also possible that the software convergence is the actual cause of this issue if someone messed with it...

- Carsten

Jonathan Smiles
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2019 02:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smiles   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Smiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all,

Jonathan
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1211866/

Jonathan Smiles
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2019 03:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smiles   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Smiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A month after opening and still convergence issues on the non-IMAX screens.

One screen has red bottom and green top borders on the edge of the screen as well as red/green halos on edges, it's like anaglphic 3D (I think I still have my Nightmare on Elm Street 3D glasses somewhere).

Another screen was better with smaller red and green blurred halos.

Most staff are apologetic, a few don't care and one said "most people won't notice".

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2019 04:09 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a cinemacon in the Christie demo the image looked out of convergence to me. The red was noticeably off. I spoke to the Christie guys there and they assured me it was converged correctly and it was because I wore glasses and the narrow bandwidth of the laser light and that the red got bent differently than the blue and green and it appeared out of convergence. There may be some of this going on here.

I know that the laser projector I installed a Barco 22L I did see some of that but not as bad as the Christie but the 22L is 6P and the Christie was a series 3 3P. More bandwidth with the 6P?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-21-2019 04:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the numbers. [Wink]

6P -> 6 primaries, 3P -> 3 primaries. So, the 6P machine has twice as many primaries.

@Jonathan: Do you wear glasses or other "seeing aids"?

Not intended as a personal question. [Wink]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-21-2019 04:15 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good reason not to get one of those projectors if the image doesn't look good to people who wear glasses. Google tells me that about 64% of the population of the USA (and probably similar numbers elsewhere) wear glasses.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-21-2019 04:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that also some of the common types of optical coatings for glasses would create different amounts of issues. Wow. Never heard about that problem before. At the same time, it would be very unprobably that multiple auditoriums with brand new installations would all exhibit noticeable misconvergence right from the start.

I think Christie has no phosphor lasers (which shouldn't suffer from that issue). So, this may be a real issue...but then, maybe Jonathan uses a very unusual pair of glasses?

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2019 05:12 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have coated lenses in my glasses to reduce reflections.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-21-2019 07:34 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also never really heard about this problem before, but it at least makes some sense.

Refraction isn't just dependent on material, but also on wavelength, that's how we use prisms to split and combine colors in lamp-based projectors, among countless of other applications...

Now, the technology to use some very narrow primaries to reconstruct something that looks like full-spectrum RGB images hasn't been deployed "en masse" before.

We already know that some people are more sensitive for some wavelengths than others, that can create a considerable shift in perceived colors when using a "low primary" laser based solution, but this might be another problem that comes with the technology. I simply didn't expect it to be really noticeable, since the splitting of the beams occurs so short in front of the retina.

So, it might be worth investigating if this is a real problem or if it's just a bunch of badly converged projectors. I agree with Carsten that it's somehow strange that a new complex would end up with a whole bunch of totally misaligned projectors. While not impossible, it would be a really sloppy job.

quote: Stephan Shelley
I have coated lenses in my glasses to reduce reflections.
I don't think the coating will really make a difference, at least as far as I can think about it. The coating should absorb certain wavelengths better than others, but I don't think it will really have an impact on the refraction index.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: