Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Connect Wii U to Christie Solaria One+ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Connect Wii U to Christie Solaria One+
Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2019 06:32 PM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I need to connect a Wii U to a Christie Solaria One+ and made a diagram for all the connections. Check link below for diagram. Can someone just look it over and see if it looks good? I will link the products accordingly to the key in diagram.

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LJQOPK

2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8UQJY

3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077DNPXVX

4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8T0YQ

DIAGRAM:  -

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-21-2019 11:51 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wiring looks good. I don't have the time to look at all your components, but it looks like a simple HDMI to DVI and audio adapter.
Most integrated servers have HDMI input though, I'm not sure about the Christie one though. Or have you ditched the Christie integrated server and installed one that works? Anyway, that would process the audio as well and put it on the normal server digital audio output - no adapter required: you just select HDMI input in the server.
How will you handle the Wii position LEDs. Aassuming the U needs them, I have worked with the original Wii a few times and as I recall those needed a pair of IR LEDs near the screen visible to the device(just lit LEDs, no need to have them connected to the Wii light bar jack).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-21-2019 02:33 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that TOSlink will only support two digital PCM channels, while the Wii U does support surround sound.

Maybe you can tell us what kind of sound processor you're using.

Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2019 02:53 PM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

We are using an integrated server (Christie IMB). There is no HDMI input. I will attatch a picture of all the projector connections. We are using that open DVI port next to the one that is in use (when you say HDMI, do you really mean DVI, because on the projector it says HDMI but is really DVI). For the Wii LEDS, i'm assuming that you are referring to how are the controllers going to work. We are just going to try to see if they work first. Wii says it should work up to 24 ft. So we will see...

Projector Connections:  -

Marcel,

I did not know that! The sound processor we are using is the USL JSD60. Any way to get around that...?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2019 04:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TOSLINK supports AC3 and dts, and the HDMI audio extractor in that list allows to set the Audio EEID between stereo and 5.1, so, that should cover all necessary options.
The AC3 and dts decoding on the JSD60, however, is an optional feature, so one needs to check that capability with the specific device. Whatever, initially Jake wanted to use analog stereo only anyway (2*RCA), so, that shouldn't bother him too much. Toslink may still save him some hum issues.

However, it's quite a distance between the Wii U and the booth, so I suggested to add some sort of HDMI extension, and to move the video/audio splitting close to JSD60 and projector.
I think Jake talked about 15+ metres. That MAY work with a good cable, but I don't think that a Wii U spots an exceptionally solid HDMI output. So, either a basic HDMI-CAT5e/6 extension, or a simple HDMI repeating circuit (splitter, cable driver, etc.) should be added if a cable longer than 7-10m is actually needed. That is trial and and error. Buy something, try it. Of cause, there are very solid HDMI-extensions available in the range of multiple hundred dollars. An HDMI splitter used as a buffer can be bought for as little as 10US$ and may do the trick.

One possible option, depending on application, auditorium and booth layout may be to split the HDMI cable length between Wii U and audio deembedder. So, 5m between Wii U and audio deembedder, and another 5m between deembedder and Christie. The deembedder will work as a buffer, too. Again, depends a bit on what goes where and what cable runs and setup are acceptable for the occasion.

- Carsten

Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2019 04:40 PM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

As you may be able to tell, I am not pro into all of this. You suggested on the dcp-o-matic forum that I use TOSlink over 2RCA. So will the TOSlink cable get me 5.1 surround sound? This is how its going to be set up..

Wii U sitting on ledge outside of projection booth. 10 foot HDMI cable going into the booth (along with power cord for Wii U). Inside the booth will be the HDMI converter. HDMI from Wii U and HDMI from Christie will plug into the converter as well as the TOSlink audio cable (15 feet).

And no, we will NOT be doing 15 meters (50 feet). That was only if we were going to run it all the way down into the theater.

Will be testing all of this on Wednesday.

With all that being said (not be doing 15 meters), do you think the current setup will work?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the shorter cables, all should be good. You still have the choice to go from the HDMI-audio extractor to the JSD60 in analog stereo (1*TRS->2*RCA), OR - better-, using the unused TOSLINK port on the JSD60. If that JSD60 has AC3/dts decoding enabled (I think it's an optional license), you will get surround sound. If not, you will only get stereo sound (same as with the 2*RCA).

Did you ever use the DVI input on the Christie before, e.g. for a notebook or DVD/Bluray player?

I'd say, get these parts and start playing. There may be some configuration necessary to get everything working, but there is a chance it'll work right from the start.

Harold from USL/QSC listens on this forum, he may help you to find out wether that JSD60 has surround decoding on TOSLINK/SPDIF(coax) or not. I would think that it works autodetect, so, if the Wii U and audio extractor sends AC3 or dts, I guess there are two things that may happen - no audio at all, or surround. If you hear no audio at all, try to set the audio extractor and Wii U to stereo.

- Carsten

Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2019 05:01 PM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

Yes that is what we are going to do. We ordered that TOSlink cable. Surround sound would obviously be better, but stereo would be fine. Yes, we do use the other DVI input on the projector. It is connected to a DVD player which is also where those 2 RCA cables are plugged in from the audio processor.

We will see how that goes on Wednesday.

I'm going to attach two images for the channel setup. Can you just look those over?

-

-

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2019 06:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 'DVI-Twin' irritates me, but if it works with a DVD player HDMI, it should work with the game console just as well.

Can you check for other alternative content presets using the DVI input? Anyway, with that level of access, you should find a working channel.

We will have a Wii session next sunday here as well, but our booth setup is completely different from yours.

And: Better start with the JSD60 volume turned down. [Eek!]

- Carsten

Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2019 06:14 PM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think the other options for that besides "DVI-twin" are HDMI A and HDMI B. We will use HDMI B as labeled on the projector connections. It is a different channel for the DVD player. I don't think this channel has ever been used before.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2019 06:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, someone more familiar with the Solaria One+ may chime in here.

DVI-TWIN should be used if both inputs are used simultaneously (some computer graphics cards need TWIN DVI connections for high resolution and bit depths, or for 3D signals).

You should use either HDMI-A or HDMI-B. As only the first port is currently used, you could try HDMI-B, so you can leave the first cable in place. Using the HDMI-B port for the Wii U with the DVI-TWIN channel config will probably not work. Then use either the A-connection, or use a channel profile using the HDMI-B input.

- Carsten

Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2019 06:29 PM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we do not need to use the DVI-twin ports simultaneously. We will use HDMI B since HDMI A is in use. And I know that it will not work when set to DVI-Twin, I know we need to change to HDMI B.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2019 02:00 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the surround sound of the Wii U:

This comes from the Nintendo Support site:

- The Wii U uses six-channel linear PCM audio output.
- With a recent system update, support for Dolby Pro Logic II was added. Use of this format is only available in Wii Mode.

Source

The Dolby Pro Logic II mode is only relevant if you're going to use Wii games, so you can probably get that one off the list, allthough the matrix decoding on the JSD-60 would probably get a 5.1 mix out of it.

What remains is the 6 LPCM-channel option, that doesn't work over TOSLink and you would need a more sophisticated audio extractor. The only way to feed it to your JSD-60 would be over the 6 x analog input as the digital input will already be occupied by the Solaria One+ output.

You would need something like this instead.

Also, you need the appropriate cabling to go from 3.5mm jack to the DB25 analog connector on the rear of the JSD-60.

It's great how the DVI ports are labeled as HDMI port... well, it's almost the same as long as only digital signals are involved.

The thing won't be able to do resolutions beyond the capabilities of a single DVI/HDMI 1.x link anyway, so DVI-twin is not needed in any case. (And would not be supported by the device anyway.)

Regarding the data format, I think 8-bit 4:2:2 (YCbCr) @ 1080p is the maximum you can get out of it. You might want to set your Wii U to manual resolution, especially with that audio-splitter box in between.

Jake Sinn
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2019 08:03 AM      Profile for Jake Sinn   Email Jake Sinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too concerned with the audio being stereo rather than surround...

Stereo should sound fine.

As for the channel, change the input to HDMI B, data format to 4:2:2 (YCbCr), and everything else can stay as is? (In the pictures)

Also, what is LUT_CLUT??

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-22-2019 08:13 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LUT-CLUT is the color look up table. Just use the one shown. I don't know what they are for but picking a different one screws up the image.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: