Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trinnov Ovation and Ov2 new calibration options

Author Topic: Trinnov Ovation and Ov2 new calibration options
Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2019 11:09 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microphone and calibration options

Buy/modify your own:

We have tested Beyerdynamic MM1 and Acoustx D2 mics. We have an app that converts the manufacturer measured file to a Trinnov compensation file. These files are loaded via USB into the processor. Supply us the manufacturer files by contacting Beyerdynamic or Acoustx*

*Contact Acoustx for D2 calibration files and also, if your mics have the small XLR, you probably need the adapter that converts to a large XLR as well as having a resistor to work on 48v phantom power. Tim supplies these for $50 each.

For getting the mics connected to the processor, you will need a breakout box such as the 4 or 8 mic version sold by Trinnov.

Use whatever mic stands and cabling from mic to box you are comfortable with, as long as the mic ends up vertical and at ear position. From box to Ovation you will need RJ45 (ethernet) shielded cable. The shield carries the phantom power so remember it must be shielded. You can also extend cable using an RJ45 shielded coupler.

Trinnov 4 mic kit includes:

Acoustx D2 AM2-P mics, integrated cable, stands.

Trinnov 4 mic breakout box.

RJ45 shielded coupler.

Two 10 meter RJ45 shielded cables, one can be used for shorter runs, and coupler for longer runs.

USB with compensation files.

Carrying case

*Recommended for all rooms. Small and medium rooms can be done in one pass. For a really large room you can take a second measurement and get exactly the same result as if you had used an 8 mic kit.

Trinnov 8 mic kit includes:

8 Behringer Trinnov calibrated mics with files on a USB stick.

Trinnov 8 mic breakout box.

Seat mic stands

XLR cables

Dual RJ45 spool

Carrying case

*Recommended if you want to do a large room in one pass

Questions? I can answer here or PM me

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2019 12:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats good to hear we can finally use our Acoustx mics with the Trinnov. That should make installing Trinnov's way easier and more appealing for a lot of techs.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-10-2019 01:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
indeed!
I'm just a bit skeptical about the Behringer mikes: I have had two in the past and they both developed intermittent contact issues.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never met a quality product from Bheringer yet. Thats why I'm glad they have adapted the use of the Acoustx mics.

Mark

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2019 05:55 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Behringers work well when measured and compensated to flat. And they are inexpensive if someone wants to use 8 as Trinnov did in the past.Having said that, they are not durable. This change comes partially because I myself owned D2 and Beyer mics before coming to Trinnov, and had them measured in Paris to use over two years now in the field. Converting the manufacturers file makes it one step easier.

Torsten Juergens
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 11:30 AM      Profile for Torsten Juergens   Email Torsten Juergens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

we just bought one ovation2 together with the 8 mic kit.
Within the next few weeks I would like to install it.

But is it also possible to use only my earthworks m30 at the 8 positions or maybe only at the ref1 position?

The m30 is surely the better mic but will there be a significant difference in the measurements?

I would like to run a short test before I do the calibration using the BASE 5.1 preset it comes with.

Can one make it like this or do I have to go through the wizard first.

Torsten

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2019 05:54 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Torsten,

We have in fact previously calibrated an Earthworks mic for a customer. The Behringers are calibrated against a lab mic and compensation files are created to have their response match the lab mic. So although the mics may not be as high quality (or expense), the results should be accurate.

PM me for information about your specific installation? I may also be able to assist if you can have the unit online as you calibrate. I assisted with one two weeks ago while flying across the Atlantic:)

Torsten Juergens
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2019 11:46 PM      Profile for Torsten Juergens   Email Torsten Juergens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

thank you for your offer to help me.
We are currently rebuilding the entire stage including a woven screen and a self-developed 3-way speaker system plus 2x 3.5m LFE horn construction. I'll get back to you with data when we're done.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2019 03:37 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posting an update on this, for the 4 mic kit we have decided to list the equipment we have tested and support rather than actually selling a self contained 4 mic kit. This means Trinnov would be selling the RJ45 shielded to 4x XLRf box, list price $100/100Euro.

The idea is that we recognize engineers either already have, or can easily purchase their own mics, stands, cables etc a lot easier and cheaper.

As before, we currently support D2 AM2-P mics and Beyerdynamic MM1 mics. We will soon support Rational Acoustics RTA420 mics.

Basically any mic that has a standardized txt measured response complete with sensitivity can be adapted for use with Trinnov Ovation and Ov2.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: