Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ballast lamp power supply

Author Topic: Ballast lamp power supply
Hai Dinh
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2019 09:39 PM      Profile for Hai Dinh   Email Hai Dinh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
My Christie CP2215 has a problem. It said that: "light failed to strike".
I tried another lamp but it still doesn't work.
A technician said that I need to replace ballast lamp power supply and he quoted me 003-120476-01 Ballast-lamp-power-supply 2.1KW about 4500 USD includes service charge, installation fee
I'm really struggling.
I have 5 Christie. Last 2 months I changed a LVPS for screen 1 (2000 usd) then last mont another LVPS 2000usd for screen 2 and now this one.
So my questions are:
1. Can I repair instead of replace my 003-120476-01 Ballast-lamp-power-supply 2.1KW?
2. Where can I buy 003-120476-01 Ballast-lamp-power-supply 2.1KW with a cheaper price if possible?

Many thanks for your helps

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2019 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had all of those items go on a Christie (and more than just once). Another thing you can explore is getting them fixed. Christie will repair some items. It may not do you any good for an immediate problem, but if you get a power supply repaired, it will be ready for the next failure.

Since the lamp failed to strike and you are not getting a ballast communication problem, you cannot rule out the igniter too. I have had them fail as well. They are much cheaper than the ballast (or even the LVPS).

The old-school way of checking a ballast versus igniter is to measure the DC voltage out of the ballast (rectifier) to see if it climbs over 100VDC. If it does, then it is the igniter. Note, you have to know what you are doing because you don't want to read across the lamp when doing this since if the igniter goes off, it would be lethal. You're just interested in the ballast to see if it is putting out enough DC voltage that the igniter should have fired. On Christie's (and possibly others) they don't hold that voltage high. It rises and then falls pretty quickly several times before declaring that the lamp didn't light.

Hai Dinh
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2019 03:33 AM      Profile for Hai Dinh   Email Hai Dinh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply. Do you know how much for a ballast lamp power supply?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2019 05:52 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve on a 2215 the ignitor is part of the lamp supply.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2019 02:40 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.sanrex.com/power-supplies/lamp-ballasts/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: