Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » getting audio from hopper to cp650

Author Topic: getting audio from hopper to cp650
David Gibbons
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2019 09:58 AM      Profile for David Gibbons   Email David Gibbons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was wondering if anyone had any ideas for getting audio from a toslink to a cp650

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-07-2019 10:12 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that CP650 is equipped with AES ins, there are cheap converters available from Toslink to S/P-DIF or AES. S/P-DIF will mostly work using a passive RCA->BNC converter, sometimes it is necessary to utilize a simple impedance converter. I would first try one of those simple TOSLINK->S/P-DIF converters with an adaptor cable/plug, see if it works.

Search on ebay or Amazon for 'TOSLINK KOAX'. Some devices come with one direction only, some with both simultaneously.

- Carsten

David Gibbons
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2019 10:23 AM      Profile for David Gibbons   Email David Gibbons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks I'll look into that.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-07-2019 11:54 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First confirm your 650 has a digital input. This requires an option card, not all 650s have them. If it has 7.1 capability (obvious because the surround outputs are on the "OPTION CARD I/O", if it hasn't got the option card for 7.1 that connector should be unused: this option card (CAT680?) has digital inputs... and there are also other option cards for digital input.
The digital input(s) are on that I/O connector also, it's not a simple plug and play job of "connect a s/pdif cable to a convenient RCA jack".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-07-2019 12:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The simplest option might be to convert it to analog and use the external 6-channel input.

About five seconds of searching on Amazon finds this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Decoder-Converter-Optical-5-1-Channel/dp/B07116VKTR

It's cheap Chinese garbage, but it's under $30 and will supposedly convert the toslink signal to analog. All you need to do is to make a cable to go from 3x 1/8" connectors to the DB25 input.

Even cheaper converters exist for 2-channel audio.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2019 07:13 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that the cheap amazon box that Scott mentioned above, do work. We have had a few of those powered up daily for the last three or so years to convert optical from satellite receivers into CP55 processors that still exist around some sites in our circuit and they have not let us down yet

Juan Jose Vazquez
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2019 07:59 PM      Profile for Juan Jose Vazquez   Email Juan Jose Vazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the CP650 does not have digital inputs, you can use the 11 format and an external converter such as a GEFEN Scaler.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-08-2019 04:39 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I do not share the same luck others have mentioned over those chinese converters. That said, the CP650's digital input is far from being reliable - but maybe with just a single pair it's ok.

Personally, I wouldn't add one of those converters to a professional system. Juan's recommendation is sound though. Gefen products are very good.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2019 06:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found Gefen products to be garbage. Every single one has let me down and will not use them or recommend them. As for 6-channel D-As...there are probably DAX602s floating about now. I believe Dolby still has their Aud2DA thing from Doremi and our good friends at Odyssey Products have some D-A converters.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: