Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema Podcast

Author Topic: Digital Cinema Podcast
Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2019 10:19 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been toying with the idea of setting up a technical podcast specifically for our little corner of the industry here. I would like to toss the concept out for comments and feedback and to gauge interest. It has probably been tried before or there may be already one or more such things on the air. But...

You may or may not be familiar with a "podcast". Basically we would set up a schedule and periodically video and show live (via YouTube or other) some of us sitting around talking about the current state of affairs in Digital Cinema. You would be able to watch live and interact with us somehow (text, call-in, Skype, this forum); You could listen to the audio only; And, the videos would be available for later viewing (and critique) on demand. We would intend it to be somewhat amateurish and fun.

We would chat freely about current and common technical issues. Perhaps review new products (cinema or otherwise related) and cinema integration. I assume that we might review different forms of alcohol as well. Obviously INTEG would fund this and clearly we would talk about the JNIOR to justify it but I would not intend for it to be solely that. In fact, I would resist commercializing it (selling time for commercials) and that includes making it one big INTEG commercial.

I had been thinking about this for some time. Here's where all this is coming from. More recently the JNIOR has been finding its way into other markets. In most of those cases the new customers come back asking us about "training". Well we don't have any "training" or "certification" or any such thing. We could easily do a webcast or online meeting to discuss but the lack of any library of training materials is an obvious deficiency. Plus, it would be excessively boring (to watch and to create). Our documentation is bad enough. Most of that is still Series 3 oriented. Why not cover the JNIOR more casually and interactively in a more public forum?

In the next couple of months we are expanding into some additional office space. Not moving. Just grabbing more adjacent space in the building. I was thinking about setting aside an office to be used as a studio. Kevin and I would host the thing and go from there. We would start out with JNIOR discussions and cover support topics but the hope would be that some of you would work hard to distract us into topics of more interest to you.

So what do you think? Would you support us in this? Would you help? Would you be interested in participating?

Let me know if you would watch live or possibly make it a point to watch assuming, of course, that we don't absolutely suck at it.

Anyway, here it is on the table for discussion. Please feel free to express yourself!

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-02-2019 11:07 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially, you want to want to start something like a YouTube channel where you review new DCI related products and do some hands-on stuff with existing equipment, with a strong focus on tying stuff together, obviously using your own JNIOR as some kind of magical glue for it, whenever possible? [Smile]

A bit of a "Linus Tech Tips" for DCI geeks?

I think your ambitions are great, I'm not really sure if the community is large enough to really carry it though, but I guess you've been doing a bit of homework on that one.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its great and I would love to help if i can contribute from boston/the road somehow.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2019 12:08 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I'd be in for something like that. Probably couldn't always watch it live but would certainly add it to my commute playlist. If you were looking for regular contributors, you'd need to figure out a remote or "call in" system for guests to ensure a wide variety of intelligent contributions. Sounds like it would be interesting.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a great idea! I would definitely listen. And if I could help out in any way, I would gladly do that as well.

Have you looked at Cinetech Geek by James Gardiner? It is somewhat similair to what you describe (but not quite):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyq0AtnLFpLQCsq2TA4ROKg

David Gibbons
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2019 09:12 AM      Profile for David Gibbons   Email David Gibbons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
podcasts help keep me sane while working late at night so having something to listen to thats directly connected to our field would be super nice i just know it would only be for our little group

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2019 04:00 PM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, yeah, a small tight community like this where we just about all know each other can make it more fun. But really, we've shipped to so many locations and interact with so many different techs that its evident to us that this community is not all that small at all. And, we all share the same concerns.

I've done something along these lines for a different reason a decade or so ago. I am aware of what we need technically. It won't be difficult to pull it all together on a shoestring to start. It is the content that takes some thought and a lot of work. You know, if we want to have "guests" or interviews with who knows who. After all we are a bunch of technical geeks and not talk show hosts with degrees in communications and broadcasting. Worth a try though.

Do any of you watch Twit TV? Their programs today are way too commercialized but if you remember seeing any of their shows in the beginning ("from the cottage" as they say) those were like what we can easily do. A lot of Skype. IRC chat.

Maybe our friends in the AV industry might help us out at some point.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. Keep them coming as we are still only dreaming about this. We won't even have the space for it until after the first of the year. We will probably eventually be looking to form an organizing committee.

The thing will at least need a title.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: