Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automation using GDC 2000AR and Dynalite lighting system

Author Topic: Automation using GDC 2000AR and Dynalite lighting system
Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2019 11:56 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone familiar with interfacing a GDC2000AR with the Philips Dynalite lighting system?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-07-2019 08:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with most modern automation systems, there are usually multiple options to interface with them. The base layer is typically some sort of network protocol. Using suitable interfaces, you could hook into that protocol directly, using some sort of 'bridge interface' - in the case of cinema servers, in the form of a TCP/IP->Dynalite bridge. However, these systems usually enable the use of many different operating devices, like button/wall panels, wire interfaces, etc., and it could also be possible to use one of these devices (if available/employed already) to tap into the system (e.g. by using server GPIOs, or a JNIOR).

Maybe you can tell us what you already have besides the light fixtures and how you operate them currently. Or will this be for a new installation?

- Carsten

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2019 11:30 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our automation through the GDC consists of connection to our projector (NEC3240) for picture format changes, lamp off, etc. and our sound processor (Datasat AP20) for sound format changes and volume levels.
We had an earlier lighting system which we connected to via wiring into a switch panel and GPIO. But a refurbishment of our venue removed that control in favour of new lighting and a DynaLite control system. We have no physical switching in the booth - but as we are not in there much these days, so that doesn't matter. Provided we can access the controls, hopefully via ethernet, possibly wireless.
Isn't there anyone in cinemaland who is stuck with this form of lighting?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-09-2019 04:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, how/from where do you operate this system currently?

You could also ask the installer of the system for a wired and/or networked control option.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-09-2019 06:51 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably need the DLLI8I8O dry contact interface and a Jnior or similar to connect between it and your server. The Dynalite controller has to be programmed to recognize the interface and assign what the inputs do.
There is some direct network control available but without any API info or any idea of the protocol, you use a Philips program on a computer (or phone/tablet/whatever) As a rule cinema servers are locked down to only install programs signed by the manufacturer ... I've had zero luck in getting outside programs accepted (by Doremi/Dolby at least). The dry contact interface is the easiest way to go.
Dynalite is somewhat similar to the Lutron "Grafik Eye" system.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2019 06:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the Dynalite Dimmer, but the GDC does have a GPIO available that could be used if it just requires dry contacts.

Mark

Bruce Cloutier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2019 07:20 AM      Profile for Bruce Cloutier   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Cloutier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the Dynalite system so we are looking into it. It appears to support a whole host of protocols like BACnet etc. (See The Dynalite System Explained - page 10) I am not sure if these are all available standard or if they are options. Peter, do you know what might be available in your installation?

BACnet is messy and we would prefer to utilize a more simpler interface over Ethernet. I do have the BACnet specifications we just haven't pulled the trigger on getting JNIOR to handle it. I wonder what it would take to get the details of the Ethernet interface?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: