Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Time For A New IMB

Author Topic: Time For A New IMB
Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 10:56 AM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the head projectionist at a single screen theater running a Christie 2210 along with a Christie Digital Cinema server, still with the original IMB, but it's time for a change. It's down to one DVI port, and I've found that it's not the most robust IMB in regards to handling digital distribution. The 2210 IMB has no HDMI ports, for example.

What would you suggest? Are there any IMB's that are better than others? Should I get a Christie IMB or go another route? How much of an impact should the fact that we're a single screen theater make on the decision?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-05-2019 12:50 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving aside the Christie server if it's still available, you pretty much have a choice between the GDC internal server and the Dolby/Doremi internal server. Both have pros and cons.
The GDC's have a VGA port for a local monitor/keyboard/mouse, also can have remote control via VNC.
The Dolby ones have a web interface so you need a basic PC to control it, there is no VNC option. There is a "terminal" connector on the IMS2000 and IMS3000 but I believe it's just for technician use, and does not show the control GUI. We have used Chromebooks (cheap but I don't recommend them in this use for various reasons) and used Windows laptops for that, you don't need anything current for a dedicated server control PC... a $20.00 WinXP low res laptop with a dead battery is fine.
Personally I prefer the Doremi interface over the GDC but that may just be familiarity, most of what I work with is Doremi.
Doremi has internal storage on a 3 drive RAID using laptop size disk drives. GDC uses an external RAID box, the little ones I've seen use the small drives as well but there are storage options with more capacity. Both work fine, we haven't seen a lot of problems with either type of storage.
There is also the Dolby/Doremi Showvault server and IMB with a large external server connecting to the IMB in the projector if you like that idea. This uses "normal" 3.5" hard drives, and has a local KVM terminal as well as VNC and the web GUI.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-05-2019 12:52 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Christie discontinue their own IMS?

My personal preference would be either an IMS2000 or IMS3000 from the former Doremi and now Dolby line of IMSes.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also have a look at the QSC CMS-5000 which is now shipping.

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/media-servers/cms-5000/

Harold

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
Personally I prefer the Doremi interface over the GDC but that may just be familiarity, most of what I work with is Doremi.
The GDC SR-1000 has an entirely new interface. Nothing at all like the one we are used to. And it is way more intuitive than the Doremi IMS interface is.

This video will give you an idea of how the playlist and automation works.

SR-1000 Playlist and Cues

Installing an SR-1000 in a Christie Solaria

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 04:55 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should check with your dealer as Christie has a program to replace the S2 IMBs. Christie is selling certain GDC IMBs and the IMS 2000 at a discount and will give a credit when you turn in your old S2. Check with your dealer for details.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 07:15 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold, is that compatible with a Christie? That looks to have everything we need.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 07:42 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/cin_mediaservers/usl_cms-5000/q_dn_cms_5000_quickstart.pdf#page=7 describes how to install it in a Christie, so I assume it works!

Harold

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2019 07:49 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Verrrrrry interesting, Harold. Thanks! I'll take this info to the bosses. Getting quotes on a couple others as well, and I contacted my Christie dealer in regards to that swap program.

Thanks everyone for the leads!
Brad

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: